Chest pain

Started by Yaad Mohammad, October 22, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,670 Views

Yaad Mohammad

I have this weird chest pain when I do some movements. When I turn around in my bed or when I do sit-ups it hurts. It's also with l-sits and front-levers. Not with planche, pushups etc. It's a sharp kind of pain and it doesn't feel like it does any good to my body.

alec_ar

Is the pain located in your sternum, roughly in between your pecs? Like on or in the bone? It's likely xyphoid process pain, which I get too. As long as its not excessive it is probably alright, as gymnastic elements tend to put a lot of force on the sternum and mine seems like it is stretching a little and becoming more dense as a result of the training. You may want to check with your doctor though, as chest pains can often be misdiagnosed...is it tender to the touch and if you put pressure on it?

Yaad Mohammad
mirroredrain said:
Is the pain located in your sternum, roughly in between your pecs? Like on or in the bone? It's likely xyphoid process pain, which I get too. As long as its not excessive it is probably alright, as gymnastic elements tend to put a lot of force on the sternum and mine seems like it is stretching a little and becoming more dense as a result of the training. You may want to check with your doctor though, as chest pains can often be misdiagnosed...is it tender to the touch and if you put pressure on it?

Yeah it's right there, slightly more on the right side. I'd also like to mention the fact that a friend punched me right there a week ago. It hurt a lot for 1 day, but I felt okay the very next day. The pain has returned now.

alec_ar

Yea I'm no doctor but I think you're just re-aggravating the tenderness from your friends punch. Like I said, as long as its not too intense I believe that xyphoid process and overall sternum tenderness can be a byproduct of gymnastic exercises. Just wait til you get to training the iron cross! However, you may wanna lighten the intensity for awhile. That's up to you :D

Yaad Mohammad

How long will this pain take?

alec_ar

That's a totally individual thing. If the pain is indeed mainly from when your friend punched you, it should probably fade a bit more promptly I'm assuming. But if its more from your exercising, then it may stay aggravated awhile. Maybe for as long as you keep up your current workout. You may want to mix things up to give your sternum a little break if what youre doing is too much too fast. Or you could try holding off any exercise and see if that helps. Sorry there's no direct answer. Like I said, my sternum is often times tender to pressure from my training, i think the sternum tends to soak up a lot of the force placed upon you by rings training.

It would be helpful to know what kind of exercises you do...

Yaad Mohammad

Well, at the moment nothing because the chest pain gets too intense after a while