Today might as well have been my birthday- I finally got a hold of Coach Sommer's highly anticipated book AND my Xtreme rings. After admiring Yang Wei's body for a few minutes, I found that the content lived up to the hype. An aside: on the new Xtreme Rings, you put the strap in through the back of the buckle, not the front.
This book is written in the same easy-to-read manner of Coach's forum posts that we came to love, while having the clarity expected from a well-written book. There is little to no gymnastics jargon, and minimal bull overall. Also, great pictures aid in learning exercises that are hard to visualize. (i.e how I never understood what a Young looked like)
In terms of material, yes we have seen a lot of this before. But at the same time, Coach Sommer introduces several new steps in the progression of planches, back levers, front levers, L-Sits, mannas, and other exercises. You remember the trouble of going from frog stand to tuck planche? Right here. What about the 'easy' back levers that are rarely discussed? Those too.
Along with new stages, Coach introduces MANY new exercises, some variations-on-a-theme, and others never seen before.
Additionally, Coach includes descriptions for exercises on all apparatuses (apparatii?), meaning floor, pbars and rings. The same exercise is performed a lot diferently on different equipment.
Also, Coach does a great job emphasizing a very important concept: all these exercises all have carry-over. This really strikes a chord with me, because I am neither a gymnast nor a fitness enthusiast. I am a swimmer and bboy, who found this site on my quest for flares. Needless to say I'm better at both activities due to the strength I acquired from the static progressions and bodyweight exercises I learned here(even before getting this book).
Criticism:
-The rating system is skewed and unrealistic. No way is a straddle planche easier than an L-sit, or an L-sit equal to a manna.
- His athletes are too strong compared to me. WHY DIDN'T MY PARENTS SIGN ME UP FOR GYMNASTICS?!?!!
-There are also some sporadic typos(page 91).
It's really a great book, and is truly revolutionary in introducing the advantages of the seemingly estoeric sport of gymnastics into the public eye.