Pain during front lever

Started by Léo Aïtoulha, October 19, 2012 · 7 Replies · 12,473 Views

Léo Aïtoulha

Hello :D

When i train for front lever, i have a pain between my shoulders and my arms, i think this is about the biceps tendon.

I don't have pain when i'm doing other exercises, only during FL.

I don't know why i got this problem, i am wondering if you could help me.

Here is my upper body workout routine :

Monday & thursday :

2x130 (60 oblique) crunches, 2x15 (4 oblique) leg raises, 2x10 sec stomach vacuum, Barstarzz abs exercise

4x15 hyperextensions

4x10 sec one leg front lever, 2x20 sec advanced tuck front lever, 4x1 L-sit to FL, 2x5 sec one arm tuck FL, 4x1 FL negatives, 4x5 HeSPU

1x40 sec L-sit on the ground, 1x40 sec L-sit with a bar

Tuesday & friday :

2x50 wide push ups

2x25 diamond push ups, 4x25 dips, 2x20 tricep dips, 2x10 tricep extensions, 4x5 sec MSH

1x25 crucifix push ups, 1x25 pseudo planche push ups

4x1 back lever raises (200%), 2x15 sec close grip back lever, 2x15 sec wide back lever, 2x15 sec supinated back lever, 2x5 sec one arm tuck back lever, 2x5 one leg back lever pull ups

Wednesday & saturday :

2x20 wide pull ups, 3x30 sec pronated hold with two arms

2x20 close grip chin ups, 2x20 sec supinated hold with one arm (chin over the bar) , 4x4 assisted one arm chin up

2x20 sec advanced tuck planche, 4x1 straight arms tuck press, 2x30 sec planche lean, 1x30 sec maltese lean, 1x30 sec close grip planche lean

against wall : 2x60 sec HS, 1x30 sec close grip HS, 1x30 sec wide HS

Thanking you in anticipation !

Blairbob

arm_muscle.jpg

where?

dacicsak

I have this too, well i have pain in my arms between down the Biceps and Pronator Teres, Brachioradialis, especially when i realese from the position. any suggestion?

Léo Aïtoulha

Here !

12102009011684735.jpg

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

it probably might be caused by a shoulder impignment, due to lack of retraction strength (stability)...

i dunno how your straight arm setrength is, but it seems to be too much volume for front levers... your tendons may not haveing enought time to adapt to the stress....

do you feel the pain inmediatly beginning front lever work? is it after? how do you feel trough the day after a fl session?

may be another thing....

Léo Aïtoulha

I feel the pain when i hold the FL / the FL variations for a long time. When i'm doing FL negatives, i don't feel the pain.

I don't feel the pain on the next day, but for a short time after holding :?

Vincent Stoyas

Funny, I was just going through the same thing two weeks ago. I was doing too much pulling volume. Luckily I cut the volume immediately when I felt my arm feel slightly funny. It didn't hurt, but it didn't feel quite right. Right in the same spot as yours. I took a week off and focused on some dead hangs. Both 1 arm and 2 arm, the hangs definitely made my arm feel better.

I'm glad this post came up, I was wondering if it was from too much Fl/Pull up and it appears I was right.

Léo Aïtoulha

The pain has almost disappeared, I did :

- Dead hang pull-ups

- Scapular pull-ups

- Proper scapular activation when holding front lever

I guess the last point is the most important.