Planche Progress Critique

Started by Paolo, October 18, 2012 · 10 Replies · 4,114 Views

Paolo

It's been over 4 months since I last posted a planche progress video. How can I improve my form? I'm hoping to obtain a solid 5+ sec full planche by the end of this year. Does that sound reasonable?

xHYrxhiczMI

Straddle Planche: Good Form (~3 seconds) vs. Bad Form (~11 seconds)

Does anyone agree?

RcCx6VSm000

Mats Trane

Supernice! You´ve come a long way! as you can see in the video your hips have to go lower. Maybe go to straddle planch and work on getting the hips at shoulder hight.

Would you mind sharing your experience how you went from tuckplanch to straddle?

I can hold a pretty good adv. tuck planch for 20 seconds but I´m a bit confused how to go from their to straddle :?

Tried to straddle out a little but no real succes

xk3ubgMoWq0

Daniel Burnham
Mats Trane said:
Supernice! You´ve come a long way! as you can see in the video your hips have to go lower. Maybe go to straddle planch and work on getting the hips at shoulder hight.

Would you mind sharing your experience how you went from tuckplanch to straddle?

I can hold a pretty good adv. tuck planch for 20 seconds but I´m a bit confused how to go from their to straddle :?

Tried to straddle out a little but no real succes

xk3ubgMoWq0

When you get to adv. tuck widen your knees out beyond your elbows. Then extend your legs from there. Take a look at my video in digital coaching for an example. This makes it a lot easier than extending from a knees together position.

Mats Trane

Thanks Daniel! I'll will have look.

Paolo
Mats Trane said:
Supernice! You´ve come a long way! as you can see in the video your hips have to go lower. Maybe go to straddle planch and work on getting the hips at shoulder hight.

Would you mind sharing your experience how you went from tuckplanch to straddle?
I can hold a pretty good adv. tuck planch for 20 seconds but I´m a bit confused how to go from their to straddle :?
Tried to straddle out a little but no real succes
xk3ubgMoWq0




Instead of going to to straddle planche, work up to straddle half lay planche.
When you can hold for 5+ seconds, extend your legs out to straddle planche.
Are you going for full planche?
I would suggest skipping straddle planche and going to half lay planche.
Same concept, when you can hold straddle half lay planche for 5+ seconds, close your legs, and hold for as long as you can before going down again.
Also try extending your legs behind you - it's okay if you pike because I'm at that stage and it's easier to fix a piked planche than a "banana" planche.
Finally, practice doing full planche kicks as well.

If all else fails, try adding weight when you are doing an advanced tucked planche. I can do an 8 sec advanced tucked planche with 10 pounds wrapped around my ankles and 16 sec with 5 pounds around my ankles.

EDIT: When you're working on advanced tucked planche, lower your knees and feet as close to the ground as possible without touching. Point your toes.

Mats Trane

Thanks alot!! Alot of new ideas! Love this forum!

yuri marmerstein

Personally I am a fan of HS lower to Planche and Straddle L lift into planche

Paolo
yuri said:
Personally I am a fan of HS lower to Planche and Straddle L lift into planche

Yeah I'm working on that too. I need to start working on my splits as well.

Mats Trane
yuri said:
Personally I am a fan of HS lower to Planche and Straddle L lift into planche

I have never tried handstand lower to planch. How do you recomend starting these?

Straddled from a wall?

From a freestanding handstand->tuck hand stand->tuckplanch?

yuri marmerstein

Start by trying handstand falling into pushup position onto a mat to get the feel for it. Try initiate the drop by closing the shoulders so that the whole time the shoulders are over the hands and never behind. This should be done with control and without a wall so having some proficiency in freestanding handstand is helpful.

Once you get familiar with this movement(it's pretty simple) you can start handstand lower to tuck planche.

Bend the knees and initiate the drop by pushing the shoulders over the hands. The movement should be slow and controlled with the hips locked as one piece.

Here is a video of me doing it with straddle planche from a while ago:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... 773&type=2

Mats Trane

Nice! Thanks!