Partial range question

Started by Bradmelon, October 17, 2012 · 1 Replies · 4,679 Views

Bradmelon

So guys I know you're probably going to tell me to stop worrying about other people and enjoy my training and all that shizz, but can anyone answer this question thats been bugging me for awhile?

Okay, here's the scenario:

Two guys do weighted pullups; one does sets of 5 reps with BW +45 lbs starting from deadhang and then pulls his chest up to the bar and pausing at the top each rep all with moderate tempo (fast concentric and slow eccentric). The other guy does sets of 10 reps with BW +100 lbs but doesn't lock his arms at any point and only goes up until his eyes/forehead touch the bar without pausing at the top and does this with a fast tempo (quick, jumpy concentric and a fast eccentric but doesn't lock out at end as I stated).

Overall, who's stronger? Does an incomplete range of motion limit progress in the long run?

Btw both guys are about the same weight and height

Bradmelon
Zach Armijo said:
Full range is always the better way to go. Ask the 100lb guy how many dead hang, chin over bar reps he can do. Then you will see which is more productive.

I guess this makes sense considering that you're only as strong in the range of motion you work in. But I'd still like to know if a reduced ROM can cause a discrepancy between other bodyweight skills considering that different points in the full motion hit different muscles with different intensities. For instance, I've read that the bottom most portion where the humerus goes behind you works the rear delts and upper back heavily, whereas the middle portion (forehead to bar) is more lat intensive, or I could be wrong. So with that reasoning, is it safe to say that someone with an incomplete range in heavy pullups couldn't do a front lever seeing as the smaller stabilizers haven't been developed to the same degree? I knew a guy in high school who did 100 lb pullups in the exact fashion I described in the first post (he WAS NOT working sticking points; this was how he always trained), and he ended up doing two OAC on each arm in the exact same range as he did the weighted pullups in. He was also short and stocky (5'6"-7" and 140-150 lbs). He was Polynesian too if that matters. But then again keep in mind he also had about ~4 years of doing this under his belt, so he was bound to get something out of it.