Couple of questions regarding the one-legged (Pistol) squat.

Started by tcorgat, October 17, 2012 · 7 Replies · 3,301 Views

tcorgat

Right now I'm doing 3sets of 5reps (5reps with the left, and 5reps with the right leg are making a set), but I think I'd better check with my Gymnastic Bodies fellas whats the correct form, before I increase my repetitions. So:

Is it OK for the back to round? Because I find it impossible to keep a straight back like I would with the barbell (two-legged) squat?

Where do the arms go? Should I extend both of my arms forward, or to the sides like an iron cross?

Should the passive leg be fully extended (90 degrees to the working leg/parallel to the ground) all the time, or is it OK to go from like 45degrees while up to 90degrees while down?

Daniel Burnham
boban said:
Right now I'm doing 3sets of 5reps (5reps with the left, and 5reps with the right leg are making a set), but I think I'd better check with my GumnasticBodies fellas whats the correct form, before I increase my repetitions. So:

Is it OK for the back to round? Because I find it impossible to keep a straight back like I would with the barbell (two-legged) squat?

Where do the arms go? Should I extend both of my arms forward, or to the sides like an iron cross?

Should the passive leg be fully extended (90 degrees to the working leg/parallel to the ground) all the time, or is it OK to go from like 45degrees while up to 90degrees while down?

Back can round a little bit. Its more important with the barbell squats so that you don't unevenly load the spine. You can extend your arms any way you like. It more for balance than anything. I personally hold them in front. Just make sure you don't help with the other leg the actual angle isn't that important.

tcorgat

Thanks a lot.

Craig Rackemann

For some additional hip flexor work I try to keep my non working leg as straight and parallel to the ground as possible for the entire movement.

Hernandez C

I have a question too, do the reps in a set have to be like 5 consecutive with the same leg or alternating one with right leg and one with left leg?

Daniel Burnham
Hernandez C said:
I have a question too, do the reps in a set have to be like 5 consecutive with the same leg or alternating one with right leg and one with left leg?

Doesn't really matter. I do all of one leg at one time for efficiency.

Inter set rest will affect training but its probably not a big enough factor to care about. Just don't take a long rest between legs.

Craig Rackemann

If you're following the WOD's then coach normally specifies whether to do them alternating in the notes.

Flavio85
Daniel Burnham said:

Back can round a little bit. Its more important with the barbell squats so that you don't unevenly load the spine. You can extend your arms any way you like. It more for balance than anything. I personally hold them in front. Just make sure you don't help with the other leg the actual angle isn't that important.

I also keep the passive leg parallel to the floor the whole time. By doing that (leg at 90º), wouldn't you decrease the leverage a bit more than when you keep the passive leg lowered at 45º? I mean you'll build a bit more strength in your quads also, not only in your hip flexors. What do you think?