Macro-nutrient percentages based on activity level?

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, October 14, 2012 · 6 Replies · 2,169 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

A few months ago, when I was training for 2-4 hours daily (combination of strength and practice), I was roughly following 60% carbs, 20% protein, and 20% fat.

Now, I'm studying really hard every day and I don't have the time/energy to practice so much, so I've abbreviated my training to WOD-like workouts 3 times a week with 3 short tang soo do classes/practice sessions in the evening.

How should I adapt my macro-nutrient percentages to my current activity level?

Thx :D

optik169

Just a quick blurb, I read somewhere on this forum that the app 'NutriTiming' was useful for keeping up energy levels through out the day. It may be something to look at?

(also caffeine works wonders if you need that extra boost for a workout)

Quick Start Test Smith
optik169 said:
Just a quick blurb, I read somewhere on this forum that the app 'NutriTiming' was useful for keeping up energy levels through out the day. It may be something to look at?

(also caffeine works wonders if you need that extra boost for a workout)

I'm well aware of NT. I used it for quite a while. Not currently using it because it's an unnecessary time consumer for me right now, but I'm going to get back to it when I'm not so stressed and busy. :)

Larry Roseman

Hey Patrick,

They don't neccessarily have to change if you are feeling well and not sluggish after eating. The brain is a voracious

consumer of glucose so it most likely carbs aren't going to waste. I wouldn't go low carb as people do report brain

cramps when doing such at least for several weeks. Your total consumption and total carb grams should be going

down though, even if the %s stay roughly the same. It's still important to get enough protein, a minimum of

1g/kg (but could be more) if you are not being very athletic at this time.

FIN

FREDERIC DUPONT
FutureisNow said:
(...) people do report brain cramps

:shock:

Did you mean brain farts? :facepalm::lol:

Larry Roseman
FredInChina said:
FutureisNow said:
(...) people do report brain cramps

:shock:

Did you mean brain farts? :facepalm::lol:

Nope! Those are hiccups in otherwise normal activity; cramps crimp the range your of mental motion.

Maybe a "brain sprain" is even more appropos! :mrgreen:

Quick Start Test Smith

Haha :D

Thanks for the advice, Fin. I get 160g of protein or so on non-workout days, but more on workout days. I think it's enough. I'll use NT to calculate my non-workout kcal and then just keep percentages the same.