Hi everyone, I'm hoping that you might be able to help me on this one...
I recently started trying to work all my pushing strength using an "elbows in" technique in order to build a better foundation for eventual freestanding HSPUs. The problem is that my left shoulder has had a mysterious lingering injury for years now (which I'm trying to work on with external rotation rehab movements - hopefully this will help?) and I find it very difficult to keep this shoulder in the "elbows in" position while doing overhead movements.
Horizontal pushing is okay (though even there my one shoulder likes to wing out a bit unless I consciously think to keep it tucked towards my body) but overhead pressing becomes especially difficult. If I scale the movement waaay back - think 10lb dumbbell military press with elbows in HSPU technique - I can force my way through the full ROM but get a really uncomfortable "stuck" feeling when my upper arms pass the horizontal plane. My shoulder will pop and click and feel very uncomfortable such that the elbow wants to swing out. I can do HSPUs against the wall with elbows out without problems.
Any idea what might be causing this? Is it a rotation problem, an overhead flexibility problem, or a technique problem?
I hope I explained my situation clearly enough and that someone may have had (and fixed) a similar problem before. I'm looking forward to hearing your advice!