Straddle planche progress

Started by Daniel Burnham, October 12, 2012 · 7 Replies · 1,935 Views

Daniel Burnham

Here is a video of my early straddle planche progress. I've been working it about a month. I expect it to take several to perfect.

4ILoBRbPhhE

I already know I need to protract more and lower the hips a bit. Let me know if you see anything else.

yuri marmerstein

point your feet...

Mats Trane

And work on lowering your hips to shoulder level,

Brian Li

I'm not sure if this is the case, but it seems like your scapulae are not fully depressed. Maybe try to make sure you fully depress them before you get into the planche or actively depress while protracting your hardest if your not sure and it may help you. I think the activation you were using was just maximally protracting your scapulae which makes it slightly elevated. I usually alternate between those two scapulae activations on different sets because I'm not sure which one is supposed to be the proper one and that some times I'm more stronger and stable with the other activation and some times the other one is better.

Daniel Burnham
Zach Armijo said:

Have you tried raising into the straddle rather than kicking back into it from a tuck?

Yes. This is much more difficult for me. I think its a matter of coordinating the lean as I pull my legs up. Generally I just loose balance.

Daniel Burnham
B1214N said:
I'm not sure if this is the case, but it seems like your scapulae are not fully depressed. Maybe try to make sure you fully depress them before you get into the planche or actively depress while protracting your hardest if your not sure and it may help you. I think the activation you were using was just maximally protracting your scapulae which makes it slightly elevated. I usually alternate between those two scapulae activations on different sets because I'm not sure which one is supposed to be the proper one and that some times I'm more stronger and stable with the other activation and some times the other one is better.

It is true that there is some scapula elevation in this video. This is due to some weakness and not being able to engage and hold the full protraction. Generally my first is completely protracted while the later sets start to "sag". To remedy this I am working leans more and also adding volume to easier progressions.

Daniel Burnham
yuri said:
point your feet...

Great point yuri. I haven't been thinking about this in the planche because Ive never been in an extended position before. Next video will be pointed.

Paolo

Try doing straddle half lay planche.