Bridge strength

Started by Larry Roseman, October 12, 2012 · 20 Replies · 5,615 Views

Larry Roseman

Should the head begin to raise on it's own just from the pressure between the arms and the legs, mainly

a matter of flexiblity?

Or if not, what's a good way to develop the strength needed to lift your head off the ground ?

It's an awkard position, but it's getting gradually easier. Just doing it all with head on the ground so far.

Cole Dano

The head lifts because you push it up with the arms, and arch the spine.

At first it may seem to require a lot of strength, but this is more a case of lack of flexibility and efficient movement.

As an aid to getting the head off the floor, try butting your hands against a wall, this will give you more leverage to push with.

jl5555

In addition to what Cole suggests with hands butted to a wall, a block butted to the wall and then hands on the block does make the initial efforts at bridge better to handle.

Larry Roseman

Ok thanks Cole/jl5555, I will work it against a wall/block!

Karri Kytömaa

My preference is to lower my pullup bar close to the ground level. Much easier on wrists.

Cole Dano

That's a great idea. Stall bars can be used as well.

Blairbob

If you cannot push your head off the floor, that tells me your shoulder flexibility is rubbish or you have really weak arms. Probably the former.

Just start with your arms locked out via the use of stall bars or situation your torso and body so you can do it with locked arms. Off a bed or couch.

Larry Roseman
Blairbob said:
If you cannot push your head off the floor, that tells me your shoulder flexibility is rubbish or you have really weak arms. Probably the former.

Just start with your arms locked out via the use of stall bars or situation your torso and body so you can do it with locked arms. Off a bed or couch.

Well, in that position my arms do feel really weak! :mrgreen: Also my flexibility is not so great. Worst of both worlds.

I'm not sure if it's related to bridge work but something has my torso in a weird way now.

Bascially whenever I am standing bending a bit forward I am getting all kinds of abdominal stitches. I can do everything else, weights, GB, headstand work, FSB, FBE, lay down, sit and run without any symptoms. But if I stand at the sink and do dishes I get a really weird pain in my torso. From the shoulder down to the pelvis on the right side. Strange! My abs are quite sore to palpation down the center too. Sound familar?

jl5555
FutureisNow said:
....Bascially whenever I am standing bending a bit forward I am getting all kinds of abdominal stitches. I can do everything else, weights, GB, headstand work, FSB, FBE, lay down, sit and run without any symptoms. But if I stand at the sink and do dishes I get a really weird pain in my torso. From the shoulder down to the pelvis on the right side. Strange! My abs are quite sore to palpation down the center too. Sound familar?

Absolutely, this is exactly why I never stand at the sink and do dishes. Terrible! Same goes for using the vacuum cleaner. Completely off limits. The pain is horrible. :P

Cole Dano

Excellent joke aside, back bends can give some strange side effects. However the same general rule of training applies, if it's causing pain after the fact, you've done too much. Back of on volume, intensity or both.

Nic Branson

Cole has it. Side note when bridging be very conscious of your breathing. If it is tight and not relaxed you're pushing to far. Back bending work makes this especially true as the effect it can have on your intercostals lead to some fun stitches and cramps if you do too much.

Cole Dano

Good point Nic, and it really applies to all 'stretching' try to get at least of few moments of nice slow breathing in.

Larry Roseman

Hillarous response jl5555. Thanks for that! I needed a good laugh today :)

Yeah, I think it might be too much too soon, like doing OAC before being able to climb a rope without feet.

I'm probably stretching too much in the torso because my shoulders and upper back isn't.

I wonder if being able to grab both hands (from behind the back and the opposite shoulder) is a good indication that one is ready to train bridges, because I am a good 10" from touching fingers let alone grasping hands!! Or is there another

indicator that should be used?

Cole Dano

Actually that's not a pre-req at all. I used to be able to grab down to my wrists, but when I started having shoulder issues realised I'd overdone that and purposefully let it completely go to the point that I'm quite poor in that movement. It has had no impact on bridging whatsoever.

The feet elevated bridge would be an excellent way to open in this direction without overdoing it.

Larry Roseman

Thanks! That's good I guess. My chicken wing flexiblity is pretty good, but my hand behind shoulder barely reaches T-4, if I'm counting correctly. One step backward - two forward - hopefully!

Larry Roseman

Trunk pain is easing! Whew :) There were lots of trigger points in my center line abs and also their attachments to the ribs.

And in between and along the ribs themselves. Still some there. May start up again soon with some easier variations and not push the arching!

Cole Dano

Good deal!

I found passive static type work to be very helpful at this stage. That and things like arch ups done slowly and trying to realy move one vertebra at a time.

Unfortunately with the grabbing the hands behind the head thing, the upper arm does carry over to back bends...

Larry Roseman
Cole Dano said:
Good deal!

I found passive static type work to be very helpful at this stage. That and things like arch ups done slowly and trying to realy move one vertebra at a time.

Unfortunately with the grabbing the hands behind the head thing, the upper arm does carry over to back bends...

Can work on some static stretches. My back to wall arm slide - forget exact name at the moment - needs work too.

In regards to the the T-spine and upper arm, would you think that the flexibility needed for overhead squatting is similar to bridging?

Cole Dano

Yes, front squat as well, for the t-spine.

Oly lifts (including all their variations), GST and Yoga all are surprisingly inter-related and complementary.

Nic Branson

I also like to add in overhead squats with a dowel. They offer a decent mobility and stability mix.

acrobatlegend

It is easier to get up into a bridge if you widen your grip on the floor. i.e. spread your arms wide on the floor. It is much harder (for beginners) to stay up in a bridge with the hands close together on the ground.

Also, when you start kicking over, having the arms wide apart will make it much easier because of the leverage your body gets.