Iron cross pulls vs assisted

Started by Baldux, October 10, 2012 · 4 Replies · 3,578 Views

Baldux

Hi, my question is how much easier are assisted iron cross pulls (with feet on a support) compared to free iron cross pulls.

Because sometime I workout with assisted iron cross pulls, and I can low my body to a 80° cross, while doing them correctly (hands in same line of shoulder, body perpendicular to floor, like an v-cross with leg at 45° with body).

I find it challenging, I can do 3-4 repetition.

I also do sometimes cross pulls with rings dream machine and they are much simplier than assisted one. Is the weight with dream machine half?

Blairbob

Many dream machines are set to half BW but it can depend I think.

Joshua Naterman
Baldux said:
Hi, my question is how much easier are assisted iron cross pulls (with feet on a support) compared to free iron cross pulls.

Because sometime I workout with assisted iron cross pulls, and I can low my body to a 80° cross, while doing them correctly (hands in same line of shoulder, body perpendicular to floor, like an v-cross with leg at 45° with body).

I find it challenging, I can do 3-4 repetition.

I also do sometimes cross pulls with rings dream machine and they are much simplier than assisted one. Is the weight with dream machine half?

Best way to know is to put an analogue scale under your feet and videotape the weight it shows as you move through the assisted pull. There is no other way to do this, it would all be a bunch of BS guesswork or extraordinarily individualized video analysis that will cost you money and not really be relevant since this kind of think is all about how it feels to you (and good form) and not some objective resistance value.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck
Joshua Naterman said:
Best way to know is to put an analogue scale under your feet and videotape the weight it shows as you move through the assisted pull. There is no other way to do this,

I thought "What a good idea". So, I went ahead and tried it. Scale about same height as rings (underside), feet on scale, start in support position with feet on scale, lower down in cross to about 70 - 80 degrees, held it 2 seconds and pulled out to support again: 10 kg on scale in lowest cross position with BW of 80 kg. So, to get that weight on the dream machine I would have to add about 60 kg to my BW. The surprise to me was that I could lower down to about 70 - 80 degrees with "only" 10 kg of assist. Clearly my months of diligent cross pull out and (recently) butterfly training on my DM (at 50% of my BW) is starting to pay off. Now for the OP, don't take my 1/8 of BW ratio of assist from feet on chair as a universal rule. It is totally dependent on individual factors and in your case it may be quite different. Just test it for yourself.

Baldux

Thanks for all the answers, As joshua says it depends on angle of ankle and position of the body.

So I'll continue with assisted cross pulls sometimes, but I'll focus on weightned chinup and dips, muscleup and other basic strenght exercise, because my major problem is there.