form check - various moves

Started by Matus Michalicka, October 10, 2012 · 8 Replies · 1,704 Views

Matus Michalicka

Hey guys in the near future I will be uploading various moves to check my form...I want to keep it all in one post.

So the first one is XR L-sit Pull Ups, this is my third set of yesterday workout. I am mainly concerned about the ROM, do I go high enough?? I am also doing regular pull ups other day with a bit better ROM.

A4GwQ-wvg9k

All feedback is appreciated

Matus Michalicka

I actually always believed that proper form while doing pull ups is to keep shoulders depressed and retracted during whole set, even between reps. Can someone confirm that this is incorrect??? and I should dead hang between reps?

Brian Li

You should actually start with with naturally elevated and protracted at the bottom of each rep then depress and retract as you do the concentric and reverse that for the eccentric unless you have shoulder problems.

Matus Michalicka

alright thank you guys, and what about the ROM?

Yaad Mohammad
spyro7800 said:
alright thank you guys, and what about the ROM?

Well, he is right. No full dead hang, you should do that.

Larry Roseman

Educate me if I'm wrong, but isn't it better for shoulder health to not fully extend and hang from the ligaments?

Will it help strength development to hang even further or is that more of an aesthetic thing to judges?

Rik de Kort
FutureisNow said:
Educate me if I'm wrong, but isn't it better for shoulder health to not fully extend and hang from the ligaments?

Will it help strength development to hang even further or is that more of an aesthetic thing to judges?

Coach mentioned that it was a perfectly natural shoulder movement, and eventually you end up in that position anyways (during swings and stuff). So not strengthening that position is a bad idea.

Matus Michalicka

Alright, so I have 2 new videos.

Wall handstand

Wall HeSPU Negatives

I know than when I walk my feet up to wall that I am not as hollow as needed, I will fix that :)

Other than that I am really curious about the handstand, I have hard time progressing on it...I usually hold only 3 x 20 seconds. The negatives itself are not really difficult, but the walking up the wall 3 times in a row and negatives between it are killing me. It was a lot easier to just kick to back to wall handstand :)

Yaad Mohammad
spyro7800 said:

Alright, so I have 2 new videos.

Wall handstand

mdoFNcyAfcU

Wall HeSPU Negatives

anmwy85WQug

I know than when I walk my feet up to wall that I am not as hollow as needed, I will fix that :)

Other than that I am really curious about the handstand, I have hard time progressing on it...I usually hold only 3 x 20 seconds. The negatives itself are not really difficult, but the walking up the wall 3 times in a row and negatives between it are killing me. It was a lot easier to just kick to back to wall handstand :)

You should work on your breathing, because it sounds as if you're having a really hard time holding the position. About the negatives, I can't see it properly, but you should go in with your elbows instead of going out. Once again, can't see that properly, so sorry if I saw that incorrectly.