How to develop the felge on rings?

Started by Ryan Verma, October 9, 2012 · 7 Replies · 4,767 Views

Ryan Verma

I'm looking for any info that anyone can provide on how to develop the felge. I'm pretty sure I have the required strength for it, but perhaps it's my technique that's lacking. Are there any definite skill or strength prerequisites?

I set a false grip and rotate backwards while pulling the rings to my hips, but the rings get caught on my hips as I try to turn them around. I haven't been using any backwards kip so far because my kipping technique is pretty bad and I've found my attempts feel more successful when I just try and muscle through it. I haven't been able to find any good videos or descriptions on the move, so if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it. Also, are there any skills that can be practiced that will help develop it?

Thanks!

Blairbob

YkM-t7r_I4k

One of the cues I use to teach this is making the rings like a bar.

Ukz02CABF8w

Gregor, Rings Gregor who is a mod here and used to be online more said basically, false grip+strong dip strength. Think that dip to bent arm planche.

Ryan Verma

Thanks Blair! I'll try that band thing and see if it helps. I don't see how they're so easily able to turn the rings without them getting caught on the hips. It appears that they're turning them while the hips/glutes are below the bottom of the rings, which means working bent arm planche strength and bent arm planche lower-downs to back lever would be beneficial. Does that sound right?

haui

First do the felge forward it is much easier

Blairbob
bent arm planche strength and bent arm planche lower-downs to back lever would be beneficial
= ring dip to bent arm planche/elbow lever.
Ryan Verma

Thanks again for the clarification Blair.

Haui, I can do the felge forward without any troubles. Felge backward has been eluding me, but not for much longer!!!

Brian Li

Could this be done without a false grip?

Ryan Verma

Yes, but it would require much more strength, just like a muscle up without false grip.