Replacing pushups.

Started by Ping Blekkboks, October 8, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,961 Views

Ping Blekkboks

Not sure if right section, but anyways.

If i want to decrease my Push volume, can regular pushups be replaced with handstand pushups?

I'm not going to miss out on something?

Thanks.

Rik de Kort

Not sure what you're doing or what you're trying to accomplish.

Could you give more info?

Ping Blekkboks

Usually I perform Pushups and HSPU alternating each day. If I want to decrease the volume of pushing exercises, and only do HSPU every other day, would that be sufficent? The HSPU is a good all-round exercise for general pushup training?

Larry Roseman

Take a look at pseudo planch pushups and/or planche lean pushups. I'm not sure what the difference is but they

are at least twice as hard as regular pushups and still work horizontal pushing. Just starting them.

There are also other variations of pushups, such as diamond pushups and XR pushups, with feet elevated if

those are still too easy!

HSPU are vertical push - or inverted vertical pressing - which work a different set of muscles than pushup.

Some crossover but not a lot. If you can do them - I can only do a few negatives - then that's great - but I wouldn't use them to replace push ups, or horizontal pressing in general.

Ping Blekkboks

I'll just decrease the sets. I need to train dynamic calisthenics 6 days a week.

Thanks!