Straddle Planche Big Progress!

Started by Yaad Mohammad, October 6, 2012 · 6 Replies · 3,021 Views

Yaad Mohammad

Okay, so it's not perfect, but it's definitely there. I thought I had the straddle planche a few months ago, but I was wrong, I used the wrong technique and had to retrain completely. I lost a lot of motivation and stopped doing planches. I focused a bit on doing press to handstands with straight arms and now and then I did a tuck planche to handstand. So one day I decided to test my straddle planche and I was amazed with the results:

nrHo18LrUeI

Now, the form is really bad. Not parallel to the ground and no straight legs, but it is there. I also started working on front-lever pull-ups as you can see in the end of the video.

Colibri

Jealous man. I'll get there one day 8) curious about the HS strength transferring to the straight arm planche work. Were you training for the tuck planche to handstand? I'm assuming you built up enough volume in your tuck to achieve a better straddle. Amazing though, well done buddy. Must feel good!

Joshua Naterman

Definite progress there Rago!

Colibri: one thing that PROPER handstand will do, especially straight arm press handstand work, is develop very stable shoulder blades. That is absolutely, completely, essential to being able to develop all upper body strength but especially low leverage positions like planche. That is part of why Coach recommends handstand work to be one of the priorities during initial development of an athlete.

Coach Sommer

It is a good start, but it is by no means a "straddle planche achieved."

- The hips are too high.

- The hips are too piked.

- The duration of the static hold is too short.

Where the above technical errors are corrected and the static hold is a consistent solid 10 seconds; then you will have achieved the straddle planche.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yaad Mohammad

I am aware of all the flaws coach and I will get that 10 second perfect straddle planche!

Also, my advanced tuck planche has a great form now. Completely parallel to the ground and completely flat lower back. Best part is, that I can hold it easily and breath normally. So I will continue my training with the advanced tuck planche. And I have almost got my advanced tuck planche to handstand!

I'll post a new straddle planche video in a month or two!

Coach Sommer
I am aware of all the flaws coach and I will get that 10 second perfect straddle planche!

If you are already aware of all the flaws, then please do not post the video as "straddle planche achieved"; but more accurately title it "straddle planche - a work in progress".

This is important for two reasons:

1) It keeps me from spending time teaching you what you already know.

2) It prevents new students, who may be unclear on the proper execution of a straddle planche, from getting the wrong idea of what is an acceptable straddle planche in the GB forum.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yaad Mohammad
Coach Sommer said:
I am aware of all the flaws coach and I will get that 10 second perfect straddle planche!

If you are already aware of all the flaws, then please do not post the video as "straddle planche achieved"; but more accurately title it "straddle planche - a work in progress".

This is important for two reasons:

1) It keeps me from spending time teaching you what you already know.

2) It prevents new students, who may be unclear on the proper execution of a straddle planche, from getting the wrong idea of what is an acceptable straddle planche in the GB forum.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I apologize for the inconvenience, I will change the thread's title