Hey guys,
I just wanna say a big thanks to everyone that participates in discussion here. Each time I read a topic, I understand a bit more about our bodies, and how they run optimally.
I must say, it's like a breath of fresh air reading discussions with level headed, friendly people. ![]()
Anyway, I'd love if anyone I have just been employed for a job that is shift based. I could be working anywhere from 4-6 days a week, and it will vary from a few hours to most of the day - morning, noon and night. Because of this, I am finding it hard to keep my nutrition optimal.
The food choices are fine - a paleo based meat, veg, fruit, spices approach. In the last week, I've upped my carbs from under 40g to 70-100g+ and I feel leaner than ever (even though I'm approx 15% BF). The rice and potatoes are working, though my fructose consumption could be less. Other than that, I try to get around 140g+ protein and I don't worry too much about fat. I am getting around 1500-1800 calories each day (I know this is too little). The timing and frequency though, is haphazard at best. One day I could have 1 big meal, another could be 2-3 meals but I cannot be certain due to work.
Reading the sticky topics have helped a lot, but there's still the nagging thought that I am doing my body a disservice with just the 2-3 meals, and that I need to fix my per-workout nutrition.
I don't often worry about it, but sometimes I'll have a banana and an egg 30-40 minutes before my workout (especially if I am just coming home from work at about 9pm and have not eaten in that few hours beforehand) and afterwards, the rest of my food (which could be 2-3 small meals until bedtime). As I said, haphazard at best. Therefore, I can't even think about energy balance, nutritiming, etc. with the work schedule.
I've been taking points here and there and think the following could be better.
Would this be better than right now?:
- Workout days:
[*:fk270bye]Getting up a bit earlier to cook a breakfast of a potato/rice, eggs, veg and coffee.
[*:fk270bye]Trying to fit in some more slow digesting protein (1-2 eggs) before work.
[*:fk270bye]After work, protein and carbs right before the workout (would some lactose free milk work?)
[*:fk270bye]During the workout, take bites of a baked potato between sets
[*:fk270bye]After workout, some carbs and protein (again, lactose free milk?)
[*:fk270bye]Resume solid foods, 2-3 meals spaced out in an hour or two with plenty of vegetables, some carbs and protein
- Non workout days:
[*:fk270bye]Breakfast of 3:2:1 of protein, carbs, fat - non white carbs such as sweet potato or brown rice
[*:fk270bye]Before work, slow digesting protein such as eggs/some meat
[*:fk270bye]After work (4-6 hours later), lunch with primarily protein, some carbs (non white carbs such as sweet potato or brown rice) some fat
[*:fk270bye]Dinner of mostly protein, some carbs, some fat
[*:fk270bye]Glass of lactose free milk before bed
- My stats are:
[*:fk270bye]20, Male
[*:fk270bye]5 foot 7
[*:fk270bye]160~ pounds
[*:fk270bye]15-16% bodyfat
- My goals:
[*:fk270bye]Lower my bodyfat percentage to around 9-10%
[*:fk270bye]Gain some weight, primarily non-adipose.
Forgive the horribly thought out plan, I don't really know what I'd benefit from more. I could also buy glucose powder and fish oil, but as I'm on a really tight budget (saving for college next year), whey isolate and other expensive supplements are a luxury that I don't know if I can afford.
Anyway, sorry for rambling. I hope some of you guys can help me or at least tell me what I am doing wrong ![]()
Thank you!