Where to hang rings (other than garage)

Started by StevenF, October 1, 2012 · 6 Replies · 5,929 Views

StevenF

Hello,

I've had my rings for a while now but unfortunately had very limited use of them. I need somewhere to hang them, however my garage does not have any support beams or anything capable of holding my weight, running through the roof. The few times I have used my rings, I drove to the nearest park and hung them from a tree, but ideally I would like something more convenient.

The best idea I can think of is some sort of collapsible frame I could possible use in the back garden. Any ideas?

Larry Roseman

Like a swing set without the swings? It's semi-permanent though.

When you say your garage doesn't have beams or rafters running on the top, what is there?

I bolted a 3x3 with slots for the straps into my garage ceiling in 3 places. It's held up very well,

though it's a tight fit and cold in the winter!

Joachim Nagler

I mounted indoor swing bolts (but not the one with a ring but a kind of open construction where you hook up your straps, it's neat) with 14 size dowels (concrete ceiling).

I think it's the same as Future's solution. :)

Rob Kowalski

I installed some heavy duty shelf brackets over a doorframe (if you do it against the wall you can't work on levers) and hung my rings from that. They support 1000 pounds so I feel safe with them. Before that I had a pullup/dip station thing and I removed the dip bars and hung the rings from the pullup bar. Because the bar is so low to the ground you can't work on a whole lot with that set up but it was better than nothing. Another option would be to get some of those TRX X-mounts (or something similar and cheaper) and install those into your ceiling and hang the rings from that.

If you want something less permanent (but more expensive) you could build something out of Kee Klamps and metal pipes.

Parth Rajguru

Depends on how much room you have. A doorway pull up bar is all that some people can manage. You can get a power rack and hang the rings from there, plus the power rack has many other uses.

You don't necessarily need a beam or rafter exposed to hang the rings from though. If you know a little about construction, you can mount eye bolts in the ceiling and hang the rings from there. If not, find a handy man to do it for you. It would be fairly cheap and quick.

rubadub

DSC00517.jpg

I posted that picture before in this similar thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3181

StevenF
rubadub said:
DSC00517.jpg

I posted that picture before in this similar thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3181

I like that idea! I think I'll give that a go, thanks!