Pain in right oblique(?) when doing scapular wall slides?

Started by Colibri, September 27, 2012 · 5 Replies · 5,228 Views

Colibri

Going by this image:

oblique-abdominals-anatomy.jpg

It's just about where the line meets the External Oblique muscle. I don't have a clue where it is exactly, but it seems to happen when I do the wall slides only. I think it's my right oblique. It's really hard to pinpoint - I thought it was my latissimus dorsi at first!

It's a sort of a popping/clicking/grinding noise when I lower my right shoulder. When it lowers halfway (my forearm is 90 degrees to my upper arm), I experience it.I don't even know if it's a pain or a discomfort, but I hate it. Doing these wall slides everyday for the last while has helped it somewhat, reducing it from a brief sensation (1 sec ~), it's an instant sensation now that comes and goes. :S

I know it's very hard to imagine, but it's even harder to explain. What do you guys think it could be? I might start doing some soft tissue work.

Aaron Griffin

It could be your serratus anterior, which IS working as your scapula move

Colibri

Could be that too, but I can't be sure. Damn this is confusing, lol.

Coach Sommer

Serratus.

Restrict your ROM to the portion that you are pain free and then gradually, over a period of weeks or even months if necessary, increase the ROM.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Colibri

Thanks, Coach. Much appreciated!

Thank you too, Phrakture!

Joshua Naterman
phrak said:
It could be your serratus anterior, which IS working as your scapula move

Much more likely to be this than external oblique.