I'm looking for advice on training butterfly strength. (Why butterfly instead of Azarian? Because I think it looks cooler).
First off, I am at a level of strength where I think it is reasonable to be thinking about training this skill. I can do a straight-body planche on rings, and I am very close to having a cross, maltese and inverted cross. I can do a muscle-up with a 45# weight belt. My shoulders and elbows are prepared for this sort of work.
I've been playing around with different exercises for this motion for a while now, but I've been having trouble finding an exercise that works well. The principle issue seems to be shoulder related. What happens is that when my hands go from being above my shoulders to level with my shoulders, I can distinctly feel a popping sensation in my left shoulder (occasionally on the right, but primarily left.) My intuition is that this could be one of three things: my shoulders are not in the right position, or lacking in flexibility through some range of motion, or the muscles that stabilize my shoulder joint aren't as strong as they need to be.
These are the exercises I've tried:
1. Bufferflies with a heavy counterweight: this seems to work OK, except that the low-rings I work on are too low to start in a hang, and so I feel like my balance/positioning is way off.
2. Lower slowly from a cross with a light counterweight: I think this is a little bit better in terms of letting me start in the right position, but the tendon problem is even more pronounced.
3. Low cross pulls with hands through the straps (e.g. cross pulls but go lower than a cross, to do some strength with hands above the shoulders) - I encounter the least problems with this exercise, but it's still there.
Not wanting to injure my shoulder, I haven't been doing these exercises except occasionally to try to diagnose the problem. If anyone who has worked this skill has some wisdom to lend, or anyone with good knowledge of kinesthesiology thinks they know what might be going on, I would greatly appreciate any help. I can post a video if it would be useful.