Iron cross For shoulders?

Started by Gaben18, September 26, 2012 · 8 Replies · 19,913 Views

Gaben18

What are the primary muscles used in the iron cross? from most used, to least.

Brian Li

It has been posted before. Muscles used are lats, chest, front delts, triceps, and biceps (not in order). I never tried an iron cross before, but I think the lats and chests are the most used and also biceps for many people, apparently.

Joshua Chan

As a question out of curiosity its ok to ask it. But DO NOT engage in Iron Cross training until the basics have been mastered and you have followed the proper elbow and tendon strength development

Lats, chest, rear deltoid, biceps with proper technique(rings turned down), and never overlook the forearms. Lock technique will vary the degree of the muscles tension. :twisted:

-Joshua

Gaben18

So are all delt heads worked?

Joshua Chan
Gaben18 said:
So are all delt heads worked?

Absolutely not. Only rear

Joshua Naterman
Joshua Chan said:
Gaben18 said:
So are all delt heads worked?

Absolutely not. Only rear

:facepalm:

Don't mess with him Josh!!!

They are all used, but there are a few different techniques for holding a cross and they will change the order.

You do not need to know the order, quite honestly, unless you have managed to take a class with a quiz on Iron Cross EMG data.

What you do need to know is that everything from your neck to your ribs is working. If it connects to your arms, shoulder blades, ribs, or thoracic or cervical spine then you can be assured that it is working. to some degree. The closer to the shoulder it is, in general, the more it is working.

Brian Li
Joshua Chan said:
Gaben18 said:
So are all delt heads worked?

Absolutely not. Only rear

Wait I thought the anterior deltoids would get hit the hardest in a proper iron cross with shoulders rolled forward? Do you do your crosses with neutral shoulders or rolled shoulders?

Gaben18

I do my cross pulls neutral , on a pull-up assistance machine ;). Thanks for the reply's guys, then ones who weren't messing with me. I hope to attend a seminar this year, i want the gymnastics bodies certification, along with the cross fit certification, and finally a NASM certification. Im a senior right now, and i also hope to attain a PHD in kenisiology.

Joshua Chan
Joshua Naterman said:

Don't mess with him Josh!!!

You´re right I´m sorry :facepalm:

B1214N, I do it with neutral shoulders