Overeating Question

Started by gravy, September 25, 2012 · 11 Replies · 2,659 Views

gravy

You just binged on your favorite snack. This snack is really unhealthy, and now you're feeling sick (it probably has a bunch of sugar and nasty chemicals).

Is it healthier to sit through the discomfort and wait for your body to break down the food. OR is it better to vomit? (considering that you do not binge and purge frequently)

I'm not currently experiencing this dilemma, but I have had to choose one of the two options in the past. Hence my curiosity. (I chose to hold it in).

Nic Branson

Always digest. Vomiting is bad in so many ways. If you felt that much an urge to binge you need to look at your diet. Just not be feeling that deprived.

Blairbob

Vomiting is probably only a good option after ingesting lots of alcohol.

Experienced. :roll: :mrgreen:

FREDERIC DUPONT

Too many details... :roll:

Blairbob

Passing on my wisdom. :lol:

Lindahl

If you're seriously having those problems I'd advice you to seek medical help as I think you might be in the dangerzone of developing an eating disorder, if you haven't already. I mean what you're describing is borderline bulimic behaviour.

gravy

Most people overheat once in a while. Especially during the holidays. I don't want to look at my diet during the holiday dinners because everything is so god damn tasty. That doesn't mean I have an eating disorder :facepalm:

But thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Is vomiting not recommended because of the acidic bile; even though you feel much relief afterwards?

Joshua Naterman
gravy said:
Most people overheat once in a while. Especially during the holidays. I don't want to look at my diet during the holiday dinners because everything is so god damn tasty. That doesn't mean I have an eating disorder :facepalm:

But thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Is vomiting not recommended because of the acidic bile; even though you feel much relief afterwards?

As a former psychology major who switched to exercise science during his senior year, what you are taking about is technically referred to as "disordered eating."

It is, absolutely, a big problem and should not be considered acceptable under any circumstances. It happens in a lot of weight class sports and does not meet duration criteria for an eating disorder, which requires specific timeframes. Unfortunately, having disordered patterns of eating like the hypothetical example you gave puts you at quite an elevated risk for developing a true eating disorder.

You are always free to believe whatever you wish, but as an aspiring medical professional I will not be silent on this matter:

The fact that you are considering vomiting after eating is a warning sign, especially since you phrased your question in a way that makes it sound like you, personally, have experienced relief after vomiting post-meal. If that is the case then it is a huge, huge warning sign that it will be easier for you to become bulimic than it would for someone who does not experience this relief. As in, on the order of ~5 times more likely. I can't remember if it's a higher statistic than that, but it is a bad sign.

To my knowledge, we don't have any licensed psychologists here so we can't give you anything resembling medical advice, but as one person to another I think it is a good idea, just on your own, to ask yourself whether or not the option of vomiting after a holiday meal is actually something you would consider as a viable option. If so, it is in your best interest to see a licensed and board-certified specialist in eating disorders and disordered eating and just be honest with them and have whatever conversation you want to have. They can't have you locked up, I mean you're free to screw your own life up or make it awesome or just keep it so-so and there is nothing they can do about that.

On this, the ball is always in your court. Shoot well!

gravy

Lol I appreciate all the concern. I'll continue to hold it in even if I'm feeling sick.

Larry Roseman
gravy said:
Lol I appreciate all the concern. I'll continue to hold it in even if I'm feeling sick.

I've had a few experiences at all you can eat buffets I would rather not recall. But honestly if you have eaten so much that you feel you have to throw up, let it fly. It is disordered eating not to! Planning to throw up is another story. That is sick. Of course, avoid putting yourself in that position. It's easy to say but stay active on constructive projects and it will be easier...

Karl Kallio

I would say that if you accidentally eat (or drink) something that is making you sick it is OK to succumb to nausea. For example, if the mayonnaise in your sandwich is off and you don't realize until after a few bites it's probably better to let yourself throw up and get the tainted food out.

BUT it would be a bad idea to put yourself in the same situation ever again. If you observe that something isn't working for you to the point where you feel the need to vomit make sure to plan ahead and avoid it in the future. For example, in my case that means NEVER eating the salad with cucumbers in the cafeteria, always saving half of my sandwich until after my run and making sure to alternate a glass of water (drunk slowly) with each alcoholic beverage (and stopping at 3).

If you notice that you have repeated the same situation, even when you try to plan ahead and avoid it, it is time to see a professional. They will probably be able to show you some points of view or ways of doing things to avoid that situation. After all, the idea is to find a way to live your life doing the things you want to do and eating/drinking tasty things without throwing up or walking around feeling like you're a dam ready to burst.

Lindahl
synchroGENized said:

..always saving half of my sandwich until after my run and making sure to alternate a glass of water (drunk slowly) with each alcoholic beverage (and stopping at 3).

Are these alcoholic beverages glasses of vodka?