HS Form Check

Started by George Navarro, September 25, 2012 · 7 Replies · 1,435 Views

George Navarro

-qybkITl7uw

lemme know what to fix or if u think i should add another angle

Cole Dano

It's good.

The only small thing I see is that you could move your hands slightly closer together so they are directly under your shoulders.

yuri marmerstein

Little bit piked. Open the hips

stomach to wall HS tends to do that though

I would also experiment with pulling the head a little further out and turning out your hands less

Aaron Griffin
yuri said:
Little bit piked. Open the hips

stomach to wall HS tends to do that though

yuri, is there any shortcut to learning this level of proprioception? There are a lot of times when I go back and watch some videos of mine, and I'll pike to correct balance, and then never seem to recover from it, even though I *think* in my head that I'm straight.

yuri marmerstein

glute activation is usually pretty good at straightening out a pike

In the line I try to emphasize 3 key points: shoulders open, ribs in, hips open

u3er
yuri said:
glute activation is usually pretty good at straightening out a pike

In the line I try to emphasize 3 key points: shoulders open, ribs in, hips open

Hey Yuri, can you clarify what you mean by "ribs in"? When I try to think of that cue while in a handstand it makes me pike... so I must be doing it wrong!

Nic Branson

No you likely had it right. When you pull the ribs in strong it will cause some piking. You need to work on that and your glutes at the same time. Bit of tweaking and feel will straighten you out. Use a video to watch your form, you don't need to suck the ribs in as hard as you possibly can, just get them in.

Cole Dano

One other thing that helped me with the piking is squeezing the legs together.

When working with Mikael, he let me be piked for a while, as it helped me find the upper body line, then we worked on the pike.

For someone a slow as myself it helps to pick my battles. Once I get a decent sense of one thing I can add another. But we all learn in our own way.