How to do a Handspring?

Started by Cappe, September 21, 2012 · 10 Replies · 1,910 Views

Cappe

Hi!

I'd like to learn a front Handspring because it's something I have to be able to do to get an A in gymnastics in school (in a serie of other skills)!

Have you got any tips? I've tried and tried and I always land on my butt and all fours? How should I do? I can do a back bridge and hold a wall handstand good form for nearly a minute.

Aaron Griffin

If you're in school, why not ask your coaches?

Cappe

I did but his advises sucked, I asked a girl who did gymnastics too and she gave me some good advises but it hasn't helped me :|

Blairbob

So many points.

Watch your hands the entire time.

Do not tuck your chin in and look towards your belly button.

Lunge deeply. Big step. Keep your torso angled diagonally.

Kick like hell over your head. One leg chases the other. Don't think about just kicking your legs upside down to vertical. Think about kicking around so you land in a bridge.

Keep your shoulders open.

Don't dive onto your hands. Place hands on ground and kick like a mule over your head.

Cappe

Wow that's some really good tips, I have to think about that next time! I usually have closed shoulders and try to push into locked while feet is in the air but it's so hard! Maybe that's something I'm doing wrong ;)

Cole Dano

In addition to Blair's excellent points, have you done the headspring?

Cappe

No I haven't ?

Blairbob

If you have access to a trampoline, work a bounder handspring or flyspring. Problem is most backyard trampolines or competitive trampolines are not long enough to do one correctly without rebounding off the end. So you have to cut it short to avoid that. Not a good option when outside.

But if you do have one with a net or at a gym, it's a good drill to work.

Maybe that's something I'm doing wrong

Probably.

It's far more technical than a backward handspring and harder to physically do. Just less scary.

Sailor Venus

My opinion is having powerful shoulders (explosive strength) is a necessity. I'm currently still working on my front handspring.

Condition your shoulders like hell! Handstand hops will help you.

Cappe
Sailor Venus said:
My opinion is having powerful shoulders (explosive strength) is a necessity. I'm currently still working on my front handspring.

Condition your shoulders like hell! Handstand hops will help you.

I do static wall handstand, L-sit and support holds in rings 3 times a week + tuck planche, dip/pushup/pike press variation 3 times a week so I'm working on it! ;)

Blairbob
My opinion is having powerful shoulders (explosive strength) is a necessity

that's one of the points of learning the front headspring. basically a kipping HeSPU that opens up the shoulder and hip.