This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120921

Started by Coach Sommer, September 21, 2012 · 7 Replies · 1,546 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of: MU, forward roll MU to BL, lower to German Hang, pullout to hanging L, Crank, Reverse Crank, FL

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) The Forward Roll MU to BL is performed by executing a MU to just over the transition and then lowering with control down into a back lever. Note that it is necessary to press the shoulders forward during the descent into BL in order to maintain the correct balance. The body position of the BL may be modified as needed to accommodate your current strength levels.

3) If necessary, the Fwd Roll MU to BL may be scaled down by performing a MU to support and then rolling backward to the BL.

4) All MUs should be performed with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition

5) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

6) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

ajgregory

Coach,

I've probably misunderstood, but I don't see an XR SS element in todays ring strength series- is note 5 a carryover from a previous WOD description, or should there be another movement in the series (or more likely, I've missed something :roll: )?

Eiether way the series as written will do for me!

Many thanks

Andrew

Paulo

For concerns of possibly injuring myself while attempting the MU->BL, which level athlete should attempt this? ala, what prerequisites Ring maneuvers do you believe someone should possess before attempting this maneuver? (I.E 15 sec BL etc)

Paulo

My attempt:

c-QPpXA0xyc

Through in some extra MU to BL attempts at the end of the video for practice since ive never tried this maneuver before.

ajgregory

Delayed post of Friday's WOD:

Pre-FSP's: 3x20s (F.Plank, R.Plank, Arch hold, Support); 4x15s (Hollow hold); 2x45s (chin grip d.hang)

30s between sets. 60s between exercises. Time= 18:35

30mins break to set up outside

Ring Series: 3x

MU; F.roll to MU; Back roll to tuck BL to German hang; Pullout to L-hang; Tuck Crank;Reverse tuck crank; Ad. Tuck FL

5 mins between sets; Time= 14:00

6 rounds:

15s Tuck FL (last 2 sets advanced tuck)

15s Wall HS

15s German hang

60s between rounds. Time=  11:40

2x10 Wall extensions

- Series actually felt pretty easy. Will maybe try adding extra MU's next time (not quite from full hang) as I'm not going to be able use a harder body position for the holds

- F.roll to MU much easier and smoother than last week

- Held all levers for slow count of 3. FL's flat tuck

TUT~1:20

- Did 6 sets of statics because I can't count

- Subbed wall HS. Prob should have tried XR support as not taxing, though a slightly easier session is not a bad thing.

Felt great after finishing

Jon Douglas
Paulo said:
For concerns of possibly injuring myself while attempting the MU->BL, which level athlete should attempt this? ala, what prerequisites Ring maneuvers do you believe someone should possess before attempting this maneuver? (I.E 15 sec BL etc)

If you're comfortable with the negative reverse MU from shoulderstand--> inverted hang I think you'll be right, although I could be corrected.

Paulo

Thanks Charm! Haven't got my negative reverse muscle-ups all that slow yet, but am progressing. There didn't seem to be as much as a risk issue as I perceived in attempting the MU :arrow: BL. Although with that said, I wasn't even close to doing a legitimate one, so I could be wrong.

Jon Douglas

It's a cool but weird movement, it's much stricter than the neg rev mu curling movement. My comfort zone up to the last few weeks was lowering to flat tuck BL and pushing out to full lay for the hold and pull out-- otherwise I tended to finish in either an arch or a pike while my active shoulder flexibility caught up, even though I had a stable back lever.

Its like it says in the book- back lever curls are the same bodyweight bicep curl, but with no possibility at all of cheating, plus the active shoulder flexibility requirement. Whereas I feel like there are tons of little tweaks to cheat the neg rev mu just a little while one adjusts.

This is obviously just my experience ^_^