For you nerdy ones, I have a question (as I am also nerdy!) about the adaptation of tendons to stimuli, to be contrasted against the body of research on muscle adaptation. (Could be the wrong forum for this kind of nerding off...but it felt most relevant here.)
Background on me & this topic: I am a B.S. Mechanical Engineering working full-time as a personal trainer, owner of The Fit Life Personal Training. I have invested...nearly 1000 hours (some 6 hours per week reading & experimenting; considerably more than the time spent earning my degree!) in the last three years to learning the body, how it works, how it adapts, how to challenge it optimally, and how to recover optimally. So while reading various materials (and referenced research) from Precision Nutrition about nutrient timing for muscle growth, and hypotheses about recovery processes in Mark Rippetoe's Practical Programming for Strength, AND while thinking on the enormous tendonous & ligamentous strength required of body weight athletes (I am personally unilateral calisthenics minded, more than gymnastics, but we are all family!), I got to wondering about the established research on tendon adaptation.
Specifically, I found this conclusion, "it appears that the tendon tissue response, contrary to muscle, is independent of stress levels/contraction type; indicating that this tissue is less sensitive than skeletal muscle to differences in mechanical stimulus" (Heinemeier).
Anyone with a background in kinesiology/physiology or a significant interest in this research have some insight about just what optimal loading causes tendon growth and time frames for recovery (possibly dependent upon and correlated with trainee experience)?
And, to keep things relevant to this particular population, what is the impact on that recovery cycle on our development as athletes, in the context of developing surrounding, acting muscle? (Examples: impact on elbow tendon supercompensation on development of advanced straight-arm skills like the crosses & levers, compared to impact of biceps growth on those same skills; impact of supraspinatus & infraspinatus tendons on planche training, compared to development of same-named muscles, posterior & anterior deltoid, and rhomboids.)
REFERENCE
Heinemeier, Katja M. Adaptation of tendon and muscle connective tissue to mechanical loading: Involvement of collagen-inducing growth factors. Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, Copenhagen. 2007