How do you incorporate pullups and chinups?

Started by tcorgat, September 17, 2012 · 7 Replies · 4,929 Views

tcorgat

Do you do them both in the same workout, alternating them between days, or periods (weeks)?

Daniel Burnham
boban said:
Do you do them both in the same workout, alternating them between days, or periods (weeks)?

The book has the specific progressions, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. I generally do a chin grip first then go to a pull-up grip as that gets easier.

It would be fine to alternate grips between different workouts. I don't really do pullups anymore except for warmup, but a general rule is to start narrow with a chin grip then try to go to a wide pullup grip.

Quick Start Test Smith
Daniel Burnham said:
boban said:
Do you do them both in the same workout, alternating them between days, or periods (weeks)?

The book has the specific progressions, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. I generally do a chin grip first then go to a pull-up grip as that gets easier.

It would be fine to alternate grips between different workouts. I don't really do pullups anymore except for warmup, but a general rule is to start narrow with a chin grip then try to go to a wide pullup grip.

Wow. Weird. I do pull ups twice a week with a 606 tempo but it usually gets too difficult after the first or second set, and I switch to l-sit tuck chin ups. You really find pull ups easier than chin ups?

Daniel Burnham
Patrick Smith said:
Daniel Burnham said:
boban said:
Do you do them both in the same workout, alternating them between days, or periods (weeks)?

The book has the specific progressions, but honestly it doesn't matter that much. I generally do a chin grip first then go to a pull-up grip as that gets easier.

It would be fine to alternate grips between different workouts. I don't really do pullups anymore except for warmup, but a general rule is to start narrow with a chin grip then try to go to a wide pullup grip.

Wow. Weird. I do pull ups twice a week with a 606 tempo but it usually gets too difficult after the first or second set, and I switch to l-sit tuck chin ups. You really find pull ups easier than chin ups?

I guess my wording wasn't very clear. What I meant to say is that I used the chin grip as an easier progression. So for example I did regular chinups first then when they got easy I did pull-ups. Then you could move to L-chin or some other variation that is harder, and when that gets to be too easy move into an L-pullup. Just follow the progressions in the book. These are helpful. Don't get caught in the semantics of the grip you'll see carryover from both exercises.

So basically I changed grip whenever I needed a slightly harder exercise. Just know there is a time when you can leave pullups behind for your main conditioning work. Eventually they are too easy to evoke a response from the body.

jl5555

Well, quite a few follow Slizzardman's pullup routine (aka Joshua). A search will find it.

tcorgat
jl5555 said:
Well, quite a few follow Slizzardman's pullup routine (aka Joshua). A search will find it.

Is this the one:

You're basically going to figure out how many pull ups you can do for 10 sets. I would suggest trying 4. You will do regular pull ups, close pull ups, chin ups, parallel grip and wide pull ups. Then you repeat that. You're looking for 20-30s rest periods. You do not add reps until all sets are 4 pull ups.

seiyafan

I have one of those door frame pullup bar at home, I usually do neutral grip on the first set, then pullup, chinup, neutral grip, chinup for each of the next four sets. I find chinups easier than pullups, probably twice the number.

jl5555

That's very similar, yes. More detail around obviously but that's close. The one I recall was 5 sets of the 5 grips. Josh's plan is good as it varies the grips hopefully avoiding any type of repetitive stress injury.

boban said:
Is this the one:

You're basically going to figure out how many pull ups you can do for 10 sets. I would suggest trying 4. You will do regular pull ups, close pull ups, chin ups, parallel grip and wide pull ups. Then you repeat that. You're looking for 20-30s rest periods. You do not add reps until all sets are 4 pull ups.