So I did my first gymnastic workout today and realized that the back lever is causing me problems. I can't even do a German Hang! I get into an inverted hang, and then just can't force myself to go down any lower. I work with a door pull up bar like this one http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages ... 628-55.jpg and whenever I start to go down, I lose balance and quickly have to return back. I'm really inflexible and feel like I'll get out of control and either tear something in my back or break the bar. What can I do? Should I lower myself in baby steps so that I get past the barrier or is there another way?
Can't do a german hang
Started by lkmg, September 15, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,901 Views
WHat do yu mean by you lose your balance lowering down? IF you control your weight with your feet you shoud be able to lower into a german hang gradually
Start lower, with your feet on the ground and your weight under full control. Set your rings so that you can stand, bend over a bit and grab them behind your back, then slowly bend your legs to a crouch, until you are able to hang there and lift your feet off the ground - don't go that far if it hurts or if you feel something is wrong; do partially supported hangs for a while - but ultimately, you'll be able to lift your feet.
Once you can do that comfortably for some time, you can maybe consider lowering into a GH from an IH.
At the moment you are scared, and unsure if your body can handle the German hang position, which makes you more scared...
.............And rightly so, without easing into it slowly, if your degree of conditioning, range of motion, flexibility, strength at extreme angles, etc..., is not up to par (and why should it be if you have not done it for some time?), you will badly hurt yourself!
Fright is the way your body chose to tell you not to be stoopid!
I also think trusting a door pull up bar to hang upside down is a bit foolish! :shock:
Stay safe, out of injury, and take your time! It is not a race... If you want to race, you'll be first to the hospital! ![]()
Pike at the hips, don't try to keep a straight body. ![]()