I have just come back from a 4 month injury lay off (not sport related injury) and have in last 2 weeks got back into ring training. When I now do static holds eg L-sits I get a pain in my chest right down the middle it almost feels like its the breast bone. The pain stops straight after I stop the hold. I do some flyes and push ups before the holds. I am wondering if it hurts because the chest muscles are already strained from other exercises done first. It certainly does not feel like its an injury I think it might be because I have not trained holds for 4 months. Any help on whats going on or how to stop it would be great!
pain
Started by mattdaly, September 13, 2012 · 8 Replies · 2,799 Views
How long have you been training on the rings (before the injury and after) becasue if you do not have a whole lot of experience on rings, u are ddoing too much. I have been doing them for a year and a half and just now moved on to xr l-sit.
Also, what was your injury? Did it involve the chest area?
Don't do that exercise for now. What happens if you try L-sit on the floor or on chairs?
Something that doesn't need as much stabalising effort may not pain as much.
In any event, you should probably return to the start for a few weeks and work on the FSPs and FBE that do not hurt
before attempting much more. Gradually increase volume because your body has become "detrained" to some extent.
Stop doing stuff that hurts!
I just had similar problem, after doing one not so intense training session I played around with ring support. I can hold proper support for maybe 20-30s. This time I tried to fight hard when my stabilizers were getting exhausted and my hands were shaking. Suddenly I get same kind of pain in the chest you described and it still hasn't totally healed. At first I couldn't protract my shoulders properly without some feeling to my chest, and this was standing without any weight!
The actual problem is that your connective tissues around your sternum aren't strong enough to handle the training loads. Especially when you are stabilizing on rings, they have to work in angles they aren't so used to.
You can see older threads about sternum pain, some have had to fight for months due it. I'm lucky I learned my lesson with just week off.
Back off to PU/PL supports or if they are too easy, shorten your straps for support training. That really takes down some of the instability. Work your holds on the floor.
Too much too soon.
Go back to just ring support holds or feet assisted ring support holds or straight arm plank/pushups on rings.
A four month layoff means you should start back with the basics. PB support, hollow dips, and ring push ups.
thanks for the imput guys I kinda thought that was the problem i was just so pumped to be able to get back into it that i just wanted to be back to where I was before. just sucks after progressing well to have to start from beginning again. Oh well could be worse could still be injured as i was
It won't take as long this time around to build up to where you were, and begin progressing again.
mattdaly said:thanks for the imput guys I kinda thought that was the problem i was just so pumped to be able to get back into it that i just wanted to be back to where I was before. just sucks after progressing well to have to start from beginning again. Oh well could be worse could still be injured as i was
Don't feel too bad, I 'm doing the same thing right now. Take it one step at a time, you'll be back where you want to be and beyond soon enough!