Question about center split (straddle)

Started by tcorgat, September 12, 2012 · 7 Replies · 3,108 Views

tcorgat

I already can do it quite well, like this girl (I'm male btw) sitting with toes pointed up, with no hand support too

situpfullsplit-400.jpg

The thing i like to know is how often should I do it? For a while now (couple of months) I had no schedule i just did it whenever I felt like it, from 2 days a week to 5 days a week. Now I just started a 4 days routine (mon,tue,thu,fri) working on fbe & fsp, so should i work the center split on every working day of these as part of the routine? Or less? Or should I work it everyday?

Blairbob

Are you trying to just maintain it or work on improving it to the point of hypersplits?

I can pretty much maintain my middle split and pancake by barely working them throughout the week. Maybe I'll work them once on saturday for a few sets? Bare in mind, I do my fair share of squatting besides those lateral one leg side squats A2A.

tcorgat

I just like to maintain it as it is, maybe make it just a little bit better. Maybe I'll go for Wed & Sat for a while and see how that turns out.

Nic Branson

Yeah, already having it makes a big difference. Depending on the rest of your training the amount of maintenance varies from person to person. If you use it often in training then much less. I you don't then you'll need more.

Ian Legrow

I was training stretching every day...found it was too much. Now 2 maybe three times a week i find gives me the desired increase in flexibility as well as the continuation of the splits i am already happy with (aka maintaining the Middle split)

Blairbob

For some, maintaining a front split or middle split is easier. I find maintaining a middle split takes almost no effort but my front split is probably 3-5 inches off the ground. If I'm warmed up, I can probably get closer down and I can push myself to the floor if I want to hate myself afterwards. Not fun.

I should probably do them to stretch out my quads and hamstrings more.

Ian Legrow

Yuor that way too!? i was made fun of for being able to do a MS but not a FS. I have hit my front split on both sides once each side...i regretted it the next day, but i casn hit the middle split easy! my roadkill stretch is a little harder, but i can do that now too and still not my front split

Blairbob

I didn't start front splits until High School, roughly 15 or so though they came pretty fast. Judo started middle splits around 5. I didn't do judo all that long but I kept working on them to some degree until then.

Helps when you've been working on them in one form or another for nearly 30 years.