Straddle Pancake

Started by u3er, September 7, 2012 · 3 Replies · 2,702 Views

u3er

Hi everyone,

I am wondering at what leg width should I practice straddle pancake? My flexibility goal is to get a good pancake and also a front split (in order to improve press handstands), so should I combine the training of both by performing pancakes with as wide a straddle as possible? Or is it best to do pancakes with a narrower straddle?

Thanks in advance!!

Karl Kallio

I like starting with a 90º pancake and doing a few holds, each one a little closer to a seated pike. Then I return to 90º and do holds progressing as wide as I can. Once I'm sure I have reached maximum width I sort of roll up into middle splits.

Blairbob

As an alternative to middle split, I work it as wide as possible.

For active hip flexibility for presses, we tended to work them between 75 and 90 degrees.

u3er

So basically it sounds like I can work them at any angle... :facepalm: Thanks for the replies!