This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

The case for and information regarding Hawaiian Squats...

Started by Nic Branson, September 7, 2012 · 15 Replies · 137 Views

Nic Branson

The form required for these is very close to a figure four stretch. In this case it is using an active component. For most it is likely a lack of mobility preventing the depth and not strength. Once you move past these I recommend keeping them as part of your warm ups and also on the days where you have a lot of glute tension i.e. bent arm straddle planche work as part of your cool down to open the glutes and ITB back up. It is an incredible movement for that purpose. Have clients who sit during the day a lot or are active runners and even more reason to include it as a mobility drill.

My thoughts...

yuri marmerstein

Yes, I like this one and will be using it a lot.

It's like a more active version of cradle walks from Magnificent Mobility.

Erik Sjolin

Was this something learned at the last seminar? I did a quick search for it on Google and got nothing.

Blairbob

I, as well am wondering what the heck you are talking about.

Cole Dano

A one leg squat to parallel with the other leg crossed ankle over the squatting leg's thigh.

Nic Branson

Cole's got it. It was introduced as part of the progression last seminar. I put good emphasis on it as a mobility drill.

Blairbob

Ahh, I've seen yoga people do those before.

How deep are you supposed to go? I don't think I've ever seen ATG before doing it.

Nic Branson

Only to parallel, maybe a bit under but only a slight bit.

Blairbob

That's about what I usually see. I was trying them last night and it seemed to go ATG it would require a helluva lot of ankle and knee flexion. That is what seemed to limit me from going below parallel.

Nic Branson

Yeah, no reason to go that far. Use it to open the glutes and ITB hip attachment up then move on.

Joshua Naterman

I like walking across the floor sideways with these. Makes for a good warm up drill that doesn't seem super repetitive. I used to do these for fun back when I was conditioning the grappling club, and they always felt like a good idea :) Never knew they had a name, I got the idea from kung fu movies and used them as a supplement to the knee series.

Craig Mallett

If you're finding these don't work strength of the legs, all you need to do is straighten your back (i.e. closer to vertical) to increase leverage on the joint and make these exponentially harder. It is possible to get to the point where your back is almost entirely straight, like this guy here.

Blairbob

Doesn't hurt that this monk is strong as heck either.

I will have to check back angle at the gym. I think people would find it odd in the library.

Nic Branson

Excellent tip there. The straight back makes a good bit of difference. I came into these already doing weighted pistols. Though I loathe leg work these days. Still burned out from so much in the past.

Craig Mallett

I also have to add that you must use a mirror to check. I thought my back was straight when it was actually on a 30 degree angle or something like that when I checked with a mirror.

Even regular bodyweight two legged squats can be trained in this way. Try a shoulder width apart, feet parallel squat, keeping your back straight all the way down. You need incredible strength and then some crazy flexibility after you pass thighs parallel to the ground to keep the back straight. This guy here could probably do it.

Nic Branson

I would strongly suggest a video I'd you can. You do not want to get dependent on a mirror for form.