I'll try and make this brief. About 9 months ago I got on a gum kick. I have a stressful job and I am a stress eater. Rather than eat all the time I started chewing gum. About six months ago I started having this weird lung butter build up at night. It takes about 45 minutes for me to clear my throat and then one big WHOARK!! in the morning. I chalked it up to seasonal allergies.
About 6 weeks ago I started having asthma. I've had asthma in the past, both seasonal and exercise induced, so I was not too worried. I have Advair and albuterol and know how to use them and when.
Well, the "asthma" and tight chest stuff is not clearing up. We've gone through a few seasons here so it's no longer seasonal allergies. I take two benedryl almost every night as a sleep aid so I'm relatively sure it's not allergies.
Today I start thinking what the heck has changed in the past 9 months. It hits me that I am chewing HUMONGOUS quantities of gum. It's sugarfree and my particular brand has aspartame as a sweetener. Following a quick google search I find that a potential side effect of aspartame is chest tightness. This pretty much fits what I am having.
Questions:
has anyone else experienced this?
Has anyone found a solution? I'm off the gum as of today for a detox test period.
If anyone chews huge amounts of gum, is there anything out there that is "all natural" with "close to zero calories"? I can almost say I don't care about the taste, I can get used to anything.