Pull from inverted hang to inverted cross with straight arm, it this humanly possible?
Is this possible?
Started by seiyafan, September 6, 2012 · 15 Replies · 3,297 Views
I'll take a stab.
I train inverted butterfly pull with tons of assistance and Im gonna say its possible. Not that I know obviously I'm just making an educated guess. Besides the requirement of being able to side lateral raise your bodyweight (a feat in and of itself), I think the real hard part is the massive amount of strength that would be required in some very small muscle groups. Mainly the SITS muscles. And that's in an extremely disadvantaged leverage.
This is just my non professional opinion though.
Perhaps for a light enough person who intentionally has ring strength as a very exclusive goal. I don't think someone my weight could do it, but who knows? I can now do this with 1/3 of my body weight, which is fairly similar to where I'm at with other ring strength. It may be possible for many people.
I'm not sure you'd ever see it in competition, it would take way too much strength to be worthwhile as part of a routine I think, but for conditioning I'd imagine it is eventually possible.
This is a brief vid of my progress with the Inv. Butterfly Pull. To show people who were curious what it might look like, albeit with a ton of assistance! Even with the help, it's an exhausting little workout ![]()
18D5GXjgBx0
Off the top of my head, Invert Cross to Invert Hang is a skill in the FIG. Or maybe it's HS lower to invert hang slowly.
Blairbob said:Off the top of my head, Invert Cross to Invert Hang is a skill in the FIG. Or maybe it's HS lower to invert hang slowly.
One of them is for sure. But pressing back up? Like a vertical Van Gelder? You don't have lats to lock into upside down lol ![]()
Inverted Cross to HS is a D. Inverted Cross HS to hang is a B. There are 2 more elements worth a D and E that lower from Inv C HS to IC or maltese.
Yea there are quite a few variations but I'm pretty sure that there is no Inv. hang pull to Inv. Cross in the FIG. If there was it would almost surely be an E. although probably worthy of an F value in terms of difficulty. I'm thinking somewhat harder than back lever pull to Maltese. :shock:
Oh. :shock:
mirroredrain said:I'm thinking somewhat harder than back lever pull to Maltese. :shock:
Oh, without question. You don't have anywhere near as much muscle mass working for you AND you can't lock the upper arms on the lats when pulling from invert hang to IC.
I would be absolutely amazed to see it.
Joshua Naterman said:mirroredrain said:I'm thinking somewhat harder than back lever pull to Maltese. :shock:Oh, without question. You don't have anywhere near as much muscle mass working for you AND you can't lock the upper arms on the lats when pulling from invert hang to IC.
I would be absolutely amazed to see it.
I'm not disagreeing on inverted butterfly being harder than back lever pull to maltese, but I thought a true back lever pull to maltese won't have arms locking on to the lats and the locking of arms on the lats is more of a cheat/assist that doesn't get penalized in the FIG Code of Points just like the lat cheat for the back lever.
For the inverted butterfly I think maybe a small person can be able to do it on short rings, but what do you think about on the high rings?
Blairbob said:Inverted Cross to HS is a D. Inverted Cross HS to hang is a B. There are 2 more elements worth a D and E that lower from Inv C HS to IC or maltese.
I thought inverted cross to HS was a C.
B1214N said:Joshua Naterman said:mirroredrain said:I'm thinking somewhat harder than back lever pull to Maltese. :shock:Oh, without question. You don't have anywhere near as much muscle mass working for you AND you can't lock the upper arms on the lats when pulling from invert hang to IC.
I would be absolutely amazed to see it.
I'm not disagreeing on inverted butterfly being harder than back lever pull to maltese, but I thought a true back lever pull to maltese won't have arms locking on to the lats and the locking of arms on the lats is more of a cheat/assist that doesn't get penalized in the FIG Code of Points just like the lat cheat for the back lever.
For the inverted butterfly I think maybe a small person can be able to do it on short rings, but what do you think about on the high rings?
For one thing, when you're as big as those guys are you ARE going to hit the lats. I also don't know why on earth anyone would ever not use that trick in competition, I mean doing BL->ML is immensely difficult without it and if you don't get deducted, it lets you perform a much cooler routine.
Now, for training purposes... I can't comment until I get there lol!
As we used to say in baseball...it's only cheating if you get caught. :roll:
Judges don't care if you connect your lats and triceps. Hell, sometimes they don't even ding them for the false grip in maltese, victorian, IC.
Yea I would use that trick too if I was competing lol. I just meant that I thought a BL pull to ML can be done without having to lock or squeeze the arms to the lats although your triceps may still be touching a little based on my observations of gymnasts doing it. I haven't gotten that far yet so it's still just a guess.
B1214N said:Yea I would use that trick too if I was competing lol. I just meant that I thought a BL pull to ML can be done without having to lock or squeeze the arms to the lats although your triceps may still be touching a little based on my observations of gymnasts doing it. I haven't gotten that far yet so it's still just a guess.
Me too. Hopefully by the time I graduate from med school I will have a more informed opinion lol!