Hi everyoe,
I have been reading a lot on these forums regarding nutrition recently and it seems that a Paleo style template is the common recommended approach to Nutrition (but avoiding low carbs) which is sensible for a trained athlete.
I am always learning as many others are and for some time now I have been delving into the world for Raymond Peats research and im going to say it - The fear of fructose from fruit sources in higher doses, in the absence of PUFAs (Avoiding them as much as possible) and Grains, is arguably, largely unsubstantiated.
I had been following PHD style eating for some time and had no real issues BUT have now been using a Ray Peat approach for a while and am thriving.
The guy has decades of research behind him and he backs every single thing he says with tens if not hundreds of studies and it is very difficult to find fault with it. A while back he was famously asked to give a speech on some of his views and backed up what he said with hundreds of pieces of peer reviewed research clearly showing how they all proved what he was saying.
Paul jaminet (Who is respect massively) recently had an online discussion with Danny Roddy regarding the subject of Ray Peats recommendations which makes for good reading! It also left the arguments against Ray Peats research and beliefs unconvincingly answered.
I am not going to go into the science behind it as its substantial and all available, but for those who enjoy continued learning I suggest you take a look at raymond Peats site and Danny Roddys.
Im summary, and this sounds controversial:
High sugar from plenty of fruit (Sucrose has 50/50 GLucose and Fructose), lots of dairy (Milk cheese etc), liver, seafood, orange juice, coffee, sea salt etc.
Also, interestingly I don't really understand the Paleo avoidance of milk as I am yet to see good research that has been done under conditions where grains and PUFAs have also been stricly avoided. As always correlation doesnt mean causation. So if anyone has any good peer reviewed studies that show an issue with milk under those conditions I would be keen to read it.
Some may brush this guy off but I am certain it would be very unwise to underestimate the intricate understanding this man has of the human system, its relationship with food and the incredibly complex way every nutrient we consume interacts with everything else under various conditions. He looks at the system from cell level where many others do not.
I am in no way saying his approach is perfect but it is compelling.
I do not have a PHD but have been studying nutrition for a very long time in my own time and I am very keen to hear the opinions of others in the know.
"Once we accept that knowledge is tentative, and that we are probably going to improve our knowledge in important ways when we learn more about the world, we are less likely to reject new information that conflicts with our present ideas." Ray Peat, PhD
Cheers,
Martin