This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120903

Started by Coach Sommer, September 3, 2012 · 5 Replies · 1,715 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded PL + 5 Tempo Weighted MU

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo HeS RLL

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Straddle V-ups

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier CPP variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 413 for the FBE. This equates to a 4 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 3 second descent.

5) You may scale the workout by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

6) If the HeS RLL and Straddle V-ups are not challenging enough on their own, add ankle weights to increase the intensity until these are quite challenging for the 5 repetitions.

7) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

ajgregory

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum, though have been lurking for a bit. I must say the information on offer combined with BtgB is really quite awesome. So awesome in fact, I now only occasionally use weights (kettlebells). Looking forward to seeing where my strength will be in a few years time.

I have 2 questions. One specifically about rest periods in today's wod, the other about wod's in general. I imagine they have been asked before, though I could not find the answers in the faq or forums :oops:

Firstly, I think I misunderstand "giant set" in this instance for the purposes of defining rest periods and the order of completing the required sets. Is this referring to a single FSP+FBE pair, or all three pairs together? If the latter, how long (if at all) should you rest after each FBE before starting the next FSP? If the former, should one complete all 3 sets of each embedded FSP+FBE before moving on to the next pair? If so, is there a desired rest period between sets of the same pair (I presume this would be 1-2 mins).

Secondly, I've been applying a SSC to my BtgB work for the last 12 weeks. I can see how this would continue to apply to the pre-FSP/FSP warmup, however I am unsure how to apply this to the wod's themselves, seeing as the contents is variable (rest, reps, exercise combinations etc), rather than constant. Is the idea to scale each wod as it comes, to make it hard but manageable, rather than only increasing difficulty every 8-12 weeks? I can see the latter as being pretty complex.

Apologies for the length of my questions, especially if they have been answered before.

Thanks for reading

Andy

Rik de Kort

The WODs aren't done with an SSC. In fact, most bent-arm work isn't done with an SSC. Scale the WOD to your abilities.

Himamshu Nallan
ajgregory said:

Firstly, I think I misunderstand "giant set" in this instance for the purposes of defining rest periods and the order of completing the required sets. Is this referring to a single FSP+FBE pair, or all three pairs together? If the latter, how long (if at all) should you rest after each FBE before starting the next FSP? If the former, should one complete all 3 sets of each embedded FSP+FBE before moving on to the next pair? If so, is there a desired rest period between sets of the same pair (I presume this would be 1-2 mins).

Sorry for the unnecessarily long post, but to be clear:

1 15s Embedded PL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo Weighted MU => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded PL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo Weighted MU => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded PL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo Weighted MU => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded BL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo HeS RLL => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded BL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo HeS RLL => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded BL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo HeS RLL => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded FL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo Straddle V-ups => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded FL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo Straddle V-ups => rest 1-2min

1 15s Embedded FL =>rest 10-20s => 5 Tempo Straddle V-ups => rest 1-2min/do bridge wall walks

ajgregory said:

Secondly, I've been applying a SSC to my BtgB work for the last 12 weeks. I can see how this would continue to apply to the pre-FSP/FSP warmup, however I am unsure how to apply this to the wod's themselves, seeing as the contents is variable (rest, reps, exercise combinations etc), rather than constant. Is the idea to scale each wod as it comes, to make it hard but manageable, rather than only increasing difficulty every 8-12 weeks? I can see the latter as being pretty complex.

If I understand correctly, the SSC is meant to help you manage intensity. The coach has his own cycle that is a month long and he uses it to cover a wide range of elements. Intensity appears to be scaled throughout the cycle with changes in volume and rest times (higher volume + lower rest times = use easier FBE variations). As you can see, because today's workout involves nine sets with a tempo and 1-2mins of rest in between each set, it is not a max effort day, whereas ring days are max effort days. Therefore, as long as you are able to complete the assigned sets and repetitions within the allotted rest times (and with good form), you are effectively cycling intensity. So I think you are correct to make it hard but manageable. Since the intensity is already cycled within the workouts, I feel that a good workout involves keeping good form and make it challenging enough to finish all assigned work - no more, (and definitely) no less.

ajgregory

Thanks for the replies- I didn't realise there was a cycling element implemented "behind the scenes" so to speak.

The set timings make sense- I was hoping that would be the answer as it would be pretty intense without those extra rest periods!

Cheers

Paulo

FtZV9BEWrL8

Didn't want to skip a day even after a labor day weekend of indulgence, hence making this workout brutal. I tried hanging a 18 pound Kettle bell from my feet for the MU's but couldn't even do one lol. So Lsit MU's it is.

Wasn't too certain about the HeS RLL's. Hopefully I was close. Definitely could feel strain on my legs so it worked something. Definetly lacking a good tempo on most of my exercises, gotta focus on that more.