XR support

Started by Ian Legrow, August 30, 2012 · 9 Replies · 3,703 Views

Ian Legrow

Hello everyone. After working on it for a while i am able to do 3x60s hollow body RTO support holds. My question is what do i do from there. What other ring things can i begin training? I mean i can do a straddle front lever and a straddle back lever. Thankfully i have a HS coach so i am working on my OAHS but when it comes to rings I always get kind of stumped. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Daniel Burnham

Nice man. That's a good hold time for support. The next obvious skill is the lsit on rings. I imagine these won't be bad for you. I would say start working on the ring handstand if you have t already.

The things I'm suggesting are just other static supports that build off of the basicic ring support. You could of course do many other not so related things like swings, planche etc...

Banzas

Maybe advancing on the progressions coach said here?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9023

jl5555

I found that after my support was of sufficient quality that I seemed to want to move into ring tuck work, not quite planche work but going that direction.

But, according to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4309 there seem to be some intermediate work to be accomplished.

I think that I was looking to refine my pressing work on the rings so, eventually, I can get to press ring HS.

Joshua Naterman

Back in the day, I started slowly making my RTO support wider and wider. I'd practice one set in regular RTO but mostly got to where my support was with arms 45 degrees out from my body. Built up to 30s and slowly started working my way down, but haven't done that in about 2 years with all the rehab so that is gone for the moment :)

FREDERIC DUPONT
Joshua Naterman said:
Back in the day, I started slowly making my RTO support wider and wider. I'd practice one set in regular RTO but mostly got to where my support was with arms 45 degrees out from my body. Built up to 30s and slowly started working my way down, but haven't done that in about 2 years with all the rehab so that is gone for the moment :)

Did that contribute to your injury? :|

Joshua Naterman
FredInChina said:
Joshua Naterman said:
Back in the day, I started slowly making my RTO support wider and wider. I'd practice one set in regular RTO but mostly got to where my support was with arms 45 degrees out from my body. Built up to 30s and slowly started working my way down, but haven't done that in about 2 years with all the rehab so that is gone for the moment :)

Did that contribute to your injury? :|

No, this was way before. It took me maybe 4-5 months to be doing 30s supports at around 45 degrees. You have to remember that I was really strong to begin with and that initial elbow problems came from me trying to push too fast with planche. Current elbow issues are from an ugly arm bar. Shoulder is from years of abuse following nerve damage and no XR support stuff or PPP work ever bothered it.

Edit: I should point out that current elbow and shoulder rehab has me more or less symptom free at this point. I am simply being much smarter about my strength work nowadays. When I feel like I have my shoulder where I want it I will do the same support progression again, while also doing Coach's recommended progression for IC elbow conditioning and my current straight arm work.

Ian Legrow

Thank you all for your replies.I was considering doing the XR L-sit but the reason i did not was becasue I ams till doing the Adv L-sit on the floor. Can i work on both at the same time? if anyone wants a picture of my adv L-sit, its the cover photo on my Facebook. I dont mind working on the XR l-sit as well i just want to know

Joshua Naterman
Ian Legrow said:
Thank you all for your replies.I was considering doing the XR L-sit but the reason i did not was becasue I ams till doing the Adv L-sit on the floor. Can i work on both at the same time? if anyone wants a picture of my adv L-sit, its the cover photo on my Facebook. I dont mind working on the XR l-sit as well i just want to know

Definitely. Just use easier versions on rings, treating it more as support work than core work. Eventually you'll be able to do most of the L sit work on rings instead of PB/floor.

Nic Branson

Another answer is to look at Coaches Elbow prep list on rings. It's a progression list.

Banzas mentioned it earlier.