Manna progression

Started by Ian Legrow, August 30, 2012 · 3 Replies · 4,532 Views

Ian Legrow

Recently I was able to progress to an adv. l-sit and was able to hold it with greta form for 16s. I was very happy. I then decided i was going to start Manna work. I seem to remember Coach saying that manna work was to be done "timed" instead of measured in sets. for example 10 minutes of work instead of 3x30s. Is this true? I don't mind i will just have to work my way up to ten miutes. Then I wonder if maybe i took it out of context. Do I work my way up to 60s holds with the HMSH then when I progress past that, THEN I do it timed? I don't know. If someone could help me I would appreciate it!

thank you!

-Ian

Sven Ravnstag

I've wondered about this as well. My impression is that you want to do 10min of active work on the Manna, not counting when you rest. This is tough, especially because I like to make it a near-max effort attempt to push my hips forward on each hold (although it doesn't amount to much).

Doing this twice (or even once a week) on my WOD off-days (Wed and/or Sat) takes me quite a while, but from what I understand about the benefits conferred it seems to be worth it.

As for when to progress, I assume the rule of a 15sec hold on the previous progression, along with a minimum 3-5sec hold of the next hardest would apply.

Rik de Kort

If I recall correctly, Coach just sets aside a block of 10 minutes for manna work. The athlete then practices the movement during these ten minutes, using his own judgement of when to stop and how long to rest for.

If you're doing HSMH, you always strive to push the hips as high as possible, I think. Not really sure about that one, though.

Sven Ravnstag

If this is true it makes a lot more sense in the context of my current levels. 10 minutes of active work with manna twice a week (not counting rest) is tough to do regularly.