Ring muscle up transition

Started by Trini, August 30, 2012 · 4 Replies · 1,664 Views

Trini

Hey guys. Long time lurker first time poster.

This is just a short clip of my ring muscle up. I am currently working on getting the transition correct.

In the video I was focusing on and Arch/ hollow position to work through the transition. My question is

what is the correct technique? There is alot of conflicting info out there on these so I just tend to put

things to the test to see what works for me. I can also do a muscle where I perform a row at chest height

to get through the transition. There seems to be alot of ways to get it but I want to know what's best and

what translates into other more advanced skills. I also notice that with advanced gymnasts their transition

seems to start at shoulder level which has me thinking that it's all internal rotation.. Any feed back would be

appreciated..

Peace.

Ian Legrow

Dispite the fact that you may not be happy with it, i feel that if you continue to train that the way you are, slowly taking away the pause at the top of the pull up portion, it looks fantastic. I can do a muscle up, but mine is very very sloppy. Keep training the way you are my friend, you are doing well

Trini

Thanks Ian. The pause was deliberate as I was testing out the arch/ hollow method as I saw explained by Sam Trebble.

When I do it without the pause, it's a little easier. It's nice to know for sure the correct technique as to not waste years

doing it the wrong or inefficient way..It's all about progress at the end of the day..

Blairbob

I didn't see much of an "arch" in your MU. Doing them from the top of the pullup with a pause is tough.

Trini

Yeah you are right @ Blairbob. The arching was not much as I am not accustomed doing it that way.

My focus is to build strength in the transition, so I figured why not try working the transition seperately.

I know alot of guys who can muscle up on the rings and bars but the momentum from the pull up takes

them through the transition. I am wondering if that builds any true raw strength in the transition.