This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

xiang's workout log

Started by xiang, August 30, 2012 · 23 Replies · 778 Views

xiang

I've been training for about 9 months, three days a week. My progress has been slow, and I think it's time to start working a little harder toward my goals.

I started with below average strength and a shoulder weak from an old injury. Here is a log from my second month of training:

plank, 2x30s

reverse plank, 2x30s

hollow hold, 4x15s

arch hold, 2x30s

dead hang, 3x20s

bent knee L-sit, 4x15s

pushups, 5x5 OR negative pull-ups, 5x3

My approach has changed a bit since I began. I like to keep my workouts short, and I have chosen to replace the warmup prereqs with some quick shoulder mobility work and barbell squats.

Today my workouts look something like this:

shoulder warmup

light (125lb) barbell squats, 5x5, 2 min rest - would go heavier but I have no more plates

chins 5x5 or neutral grip pull-ups 5x3

ring l-sits, 20 sec sets mixed with leg lifts

rings dips, 2-3x2 - these are tough

wall handstands

I have not done much FSP work. I would like to focus more on handstands and PL progressions. I've done very little for BL, mostly because my rings are hanging from a "Door Gym" type pull-up bar and I'm wary of knocking it loose doing non-stationary ring work. I have also neglected wrist conditioning and stretching overall (my l-sits are still pretty ugly - http://i48.tinypic.com/24pj6kx.jpg).

A few months after I started, I adopted a paleo/primal style diet which has worked OK for me. I have become slightly leaner, and I just like the idea of eating a simple, clean diet of meat and vegetables. I eat 4 good meals a day and aim for roughly 2000 calories at ~155lbs bodyweight. I felt I should stick to a fairly low carb diet until reaching my target bodyfat level, but I can't help but wonder if I'm just limiting my progress. I know slizzardman is an advocate of higher carb diets, and I may start incorporating more starchy tubers into my diet and worry about that six-pack when I have developed more strength.

As for my fat loss goals, I generally hate cardio, especially running, and I avoid it. Meant to try kettlebell/t-bar swings as an alternative.

With all that said, I feel like it's time to focus a bit more instead of doing essentially the same workout every day. I have decided to add an extra day; probably a basic program like Kilroy's, and I will focus more on foundation work like handstands and frog stands. I'll probably ditch the barbell squats until I get more plates and put more time into joint/stretch work and warmups.

It's good to write this all down. I'm usually terrible about tracking stuff, but I think making this public will help motivate me if I say consistent. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through this and offer input. I'm a strong believer in gymnastics based conditioning and you guys inspire me to stick with it.

xiang

First day of my new routine based on killroy's template. It was a humbling experience realizing that I can't perform some of the most basic skills.

warmup

wrists and shoulders

60s plank, reverse plank

30s arch, hang, hollow - tried 60s hollow yesterday and failed

FSP

walll handstands - 15s x 4, still can't get off the wall

german hang - a few pitiful attempts, can't get feet off the ground at all

tuck lever - can't get feet off the ground with straight arms

floor l-sit - 10s x 6 - rings let me cheat, floor doesn't. very hard

FBE

3 neutral grip chins, 3 hespu negatives, 3 min rest, 5 sets

xiang

1 min plank, reverse plank

30s arch, hang, hollow x 2

floor l-sit 6x10s - even harder than last time

wall HS 4x 15s

frog stand 4x15s

5 ring pushups, 5 inverted rows, 3min rest, 5 sets

Not sure what I'm capable of doing for multiplane exercises...

xiang

yesterday:

1 min plank, reverse plank

30s arch, hang, hollow x 2

l-sit 6x10s - on parallettes, floor was too much

wall HS 4x15s

german hang (stretch?) 4x15s - legs back, toes on floor

frog stand 4x15s

2 dips, 3 chins, 4 min rest, 5 sets - dips are really hard and I can't do inverted pulls

I'm pretty close to a max hold for some of the warmup stuff (particularly hollow), so I think I'll dial it back to 50%.

today:

stretch work

xiang

30s plank, reverse plank, hang, arch x2

20s hollow, ring support x3

l-sit 10s x6 - parallettes

wall hs 15s x4

german hang 15s x4 - legs back, toes on floor

frong stand 15s x4 - parallettes

3 neutral grip chins, 3 HeSPU negatives, 4 min rest, 5 sets

20s ring support was too much. HeSPU negatives were brutal... my elbows are definitely feeling the strain. I fear I may not be ready for a 4 day routine, which is disappointing after 9 months of hard work. Now I really appreciate the importance of regular static work.

xiang

yesterday:

30s plank, reverse plank, hang, arch x 2

15s hollow, ring supports x 4

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

wall HS 4x 15s

german hang 15s x4 - legs back, toes on floor

frog stand 4x15s + parallettes

5 ring pushups, 5 inverted rows, 3min rest, 5 sets

I can't handle any of the multi-plane movements so I'll just be rotating between the three days of FBEs.

Previously I was supplementing with whey only. I have just added BCAA, fish oil and a multi.

xiang

yesterday:

30s min plank, reverse plank, hang, arch x 2

15s hollow, ring supports x 4

wall HS 4x15s

l-sit 4x15s - parallettes

2 dips, 3 chins, 3-4min rest, 5 sets

Took it easy on the wrists. Going back to 3 days a week until my joints feel better.

today: rest

xiang

yesterday:

30s min plank, reverse plank, hang, arch x 2

15s hollow, ring supports x 4

wall HS 4x15s

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

german hang - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - floor

3 neutral grip chins, 3 hespu negatives, 4 min rest, 5 sets

xiang

friday: some shoulder pain, skipped workout

saturday: stretch

yesterday:

30s min plank, reverse plank, hang, arch x 2

15s hollow, ring supports x 4

wall HS 4x15s

l-sit 4x15s - parallettes

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - parallettes

5 ring pushups, 5 inverted rows, 4min rest, 5 sets

xiang

30s min plank, reverse plank, hang, arch x 2

15s hollow, ring supports x 4

l-sit 4x15s - parallettes

wall HS 4x15s

german hang 4x15s - feet on ground

frog stands 4x15s - floor

3 dips, 3 chins, 4min rest, 5 sets

xiang

friday:

30s min plank, reverse plank, hang, arch x 2

15s hollow, ring supports x 4

wall HS 3x20s

l-sit 5x10s - parallettes, bent legs

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - parallettes

3 pull-ups, 3 hespu negatives, 4 min rest, 5 sets

Straight leg L-sits seem to work hips more than core, going back to bent legs until flexibility improves. Fell off parallettes doing frog stand. Elbows sore but should be good by Monday.

xiang

monday:

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

wall HS 6x10s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - floor

5 ring pushups, 5 inverted rows, 4min rest, 5 sets

Skipped pre-reqs to save time. I figure the FSPs effectively function as a warm-up, but I forgot ring supports.

I got a few of Pete Egoscue's books and have started experimenting with the exercises. I have dysfunction in my feet/ankles, right knee, right hip, and a really aggravating muscle knot in my left upper back that has plagued me for years.

Eating more tubers was probably a good idea. I feel better.

xiang

wednesday:

ring supports 4x15s

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - parallettes

3 dips, 3 chins, 4min rest, 5 sets

Dips were very hard. Did a few of the Egoscue exercises before bed.

xiang

friday:

l-sit 4x15s - parallettes

ring supports 4x15s

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - floor

3 neutral grip pullups, 3 hespu negatives, 4 min rest, 5 sets

monday:

3x5 squats 125lb

1 mile jog

No straight arm work due to elbow pain.

xiang

wednesday:

warmup: plank, hangs, hollow, arch, some v-ups

fbe: legs elevated pushups on parallettes + inverted rows, 5 reps, 5 sets, 3min rest

Elbow is not fully recovered so I kept it easy and avoided all straight arm work. Legs are too sore from Monday's leg work to do more squats... pretty sad!

xiang

friday:

ring supports 6x10s

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

planche lean 4x15s

3 dips, 3 bicep curls, 4min rest, 5 sets

Elbow pain mostly gone, approached straight arm work with caution. First time doing planche leans, probably doing them wrong. Sets of 3 on dips are now manageable with slight forward lean. Bicep curls were a total no-go, and I tweaked my wrist pretty good trying to do them.

xiang

monday:

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

ring supports 6x10s

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - floor

3 neutral grip pullups, 3 hespu negatives, 4 min rest, 5 sets

tuesday:

Built a t-bar and tried some "kettlebell" swings.

xiang

wednesday:

l-sit 4x15s - parallettes

ring supports 6x10s

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s

8 pushups, 2-3 min rest, 8 inverted rows, legs bent, 2-3 min rest, 5 sets

Tried slower, higher volume movements today. Pretty close to failure at 8 reps on pushups, had to increase rest for final sets.

xiang

friday:

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

ring support 6x10s

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s

8 ring dips, feet elevated, 3min rest, 3 sets

5 chin-up negatives, ~8s descent, 3 min rest, 3 sets

Remarkably difficult, intense fatigue. Handstands getting better, almost able to get off the wall.

Randeep Walia

Checked out your log- good to see some other athlete's training at about the same level I am. I recently discovered the "prerequisites" thread and decided to sort of start over with some basics and work my way up.

Where in the Atlanta area are you? Do you ever train at any of the gymnastics facilities?

BTW: if your elbows are still giving you a problem, I had the same issue and resolved it by focusing on some biceps training, particularly dumbell curls and chin-ups.

xiang

I think concentrating on foundation is a good idea. I've been bad about sticking with the warmup prereqs because they are time consuming and kinda boring, but I'm still working the most basic FSPs.

I'm currently in the Duluth/Norcross area, but I'll be moving west of Georgia Tech in the next month or two. I haven't been to any training facilities. A big part of my decision to pursue gymnastics was the freedom to work out without relying on a gym or lots of heavy equipment. That said, I would like to get some proper instruction at some point, at least for handstands.

The elbows are feeling better now. I think the slower, higher volume work I've just added will help a lot.

Thanks for checking out my log. It is good to know you're not alone :)

xiang

monday:

plank, reverse plank, hollow, chin grip hang, arch - 2x30s

ring supports - 4x15s

l-sits - 4x15s

wall hs - 3x20s

german hang, feet on floor - 4x15s

frog stands - 4x15s

pullup negatives, ~8s descent, 2 sets pronated grip, 1 set neutral grip, 5 reps, 4min rest

long rest

half(?) ROM hespu, 3 reps, 3 sets, 3min rest

xiang

wednesday:

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

wall HS 6x10s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 4x15s - floor

6 feet elevated parallette pushups, 3 sets, 3min rest

8 bent knee inverted rows, 3 sets, 3min rest

xiang

friday:

l-sit 6x10s - parallettes

ring support 4x15s

wall HS 3x20s

frog stand 4x15s

8 ring dips, feet elevated, 3min rest, 3 sets

5 chin-up negatives, ~8s descent, 3 min rest, 3 sets

monday:

l-sit 4x15s- parallettes

ring support 4x15s

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 3x20s

3 neutral grip pullups, 3 hespu negatives, 4 min rest, 5 sets

wednesday:

l-sit 4x15s- parallettes

ring support 4x15s

wall HS 3x20s

german hang 4x15s - feet on floor

frog stand 3x20s

legs elevated pushups on parallettes, 6x3

inverted rows, feet on floor, 8x3