This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

L-sit Russian Dips

Started by Michael Traynor, August 29, 2012 · 6 Replies · 106 Views

Michael Traynor

What feels like 100 years ago, at the Mallorca seminar, I ask Coach S about Russian Dips, I thought that they went to the upper arms, elbows out. Coach corrected my form and somehow between then and now I am doing them like this:

X1jEbbK3AYA

I hadn't given it a second thought until someone queried my form on youtube and now i'm a bit confused, is this form wrong? do I need to go down to upper arms (which I can do) but keep the elbows in not out.

Thanks in advance!

Christian Sørlie

There is a clip posted by coach of Dillon doing this just a few weeks ago, can't post the link as i am on my phone, but it's in coach's corner i think. Or YouTube search russian dips in l-sit. It's all the way down to inside of arms.

Michael Traynor

Thanks Christian :)

I'll sort it and post a new one :)

Blairbob

Yes, it goes to the inner part of the upper arm between the bicep and tricep.

Your elbows might be flaring out as well if the bars are wider than the general elbow to knuckles or fingertips width.

_0ifCRQItWo

Cole Dano

http://gymnasticbodies.com/tutorials/ru ... -in-l-sit/

What were you doing in Mallorca? I don't recall myself. Were you taking the elbows completely out, like a Bulgarian style?

I doubt you'll have much difficulty changing. You can view what you've been doing as a sub-progression, as it's somewhat easier coming down on top of the bar.

Joshua Naterman

Yes. Coach told me a while ago that this is a good initial progression to do, but it is not the full Russian Dip. Once you get to where you are now, keep most of the pressure off of your elbow and let the elbow slide out. Just an inch at a time, and before you know it you'll be going down to upper arms with control. This goes for the L variety as well.

I've seen Dillon do this without ever actually touching the upper arms, and about 18 months ago I could do the same with the non-L variety, though not as easily as he did. So you can, eventually, get really ridiculously strong there.

Coach Sommer

Michael,

Somehow our signals got crossed! I never recommend Russian Dips to the elbow; in fact always exactly the opposite.

Must of been too much night time swimming in that freezing ocean. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Michael Traynor said:
What feels like 100 years ago, at the Mallorca seminar, I ask Coach S about Russian Dips, I thought that they went to the upper arms, elbows out. Coach corrected my form and somehow between then and now I am doing them like this:

X1jEbbK3AYA

I hadn't given it a second thought until someone queried my form on youtube and now i'm a bit confused, is this form wrong? do I need to go down to upper arms (which I can do) but keep the elbows in not out.

Thanks in advance!