This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jonathan's Consistent Training Journal

Started by Jonathan Mead, August 29, 2012 · 5 Replies · 231 Views

Jonathan Mead

Haven't done one of these logs in a while, but I figured I'd start it up again. My goal is to complete a full year of training doing the GB WODs. I did them a while back but wasn't knowledgeable enough to know how to scale them properly. Now that I'm a bit more familiar, I'm going to be doing them religiously.

I've been doing them for about 2 weeks now and am already feeling much stronger. I've never done a training program as comprehensive as this. It's pretty awesome.

My only concern is the lack of skill work in the WODs, which is different from some of the other program I've done that have a strength and skill element that works up to different flows/routines.

I'll have to find my own way to incorporate those.

I'm still trying to figure out the optimal warmup / prehab / stretching / etc. But for now I'm just doing mobiblity, some band stuff, the FSPs (easier variations with longer times), and basic stretching for cooldown.

Here was what I did today:

Warmup

1x5 Wrist Pushups

2x3 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Straddle Press HS (against the wall)

3x30 seconds Stomach Facing HS

1x5 Wrist Pushups

1x3 Wall Extensions

Cooldown.

spiderman

If it's flows you want check out Basic Ring Strength 1, 2 & 3.

You will find them in the 'ring strength' thread among the stickies, they are what the coach starts his athletes out with!

Jonathan Mead

Thanks spiderman, I will definitely check those out. I guess what I meant is that in other programs I've done they're specifically designed with progressions that over the course of several months lead up to the flow as the final achievement.

Here's what I did today:

WOD:

Warmup

FSPs: 2x30s GH, 2x30s tuck Lsit, 2x30s advanced frog (skipped FL because of the heavy focus in training)

4 rounds of:

2 Front Pulls (adv. tuck)

5 Towel Pullups

2 Front Pulls (adv. tuck)

3 FL Pulls (adv. tuck)

2 Front PUlls (adv. tuck)

Stretching focus on back and shoulders

I couldn't do the Lat Flys because of the lack of horizontal clearance in my doorway. Will try to do them at the park later today or tomorrow.

Jonathan Mead

Saturday, September 1st, 2012

Warmup: mobility, bands, FSP adv. frog 2x30s

3 sets of Basic Ring Strength 3 (adv. tuck on BL/FL)

5 x 15s Adv. Tuck FL

5 x 15s Lsit descending

5 x 15s GH

2 x 3 Wall Extensions

4 x 5 Lat Flys

Stretching cooldown and some freestanding HS practice

Jonathan Mead

Monday, September 3rd, 2012

GREAT workout today. Felt really strong. Always love days like this.

Warmup: Mobility, Vibrations, FSPs, jumping bar MUs

3 sets:

1 Embedded PL + 5 Tempo MU

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo HeS RLL

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo V-Ups

10 Bridge Wall Walks

Stretching

Plan to do some more filming and posting videos here once in a while to hopefully get some feedback on form.

Jonathan Mead

Tuesday, September 4th, 2012

Warmup: Lower body mobility, vibrations

FSPs: 2x30 sec of: GH, Tuck FL, Adv. Frog, Tuck Lsit

Four rounds:

5 360 jumps

8 SLS (alternating legs)

5 GHR

10 Depth Jumps

10 Side Lunges

Cooldown: Ido's squat clinic, full body stretching, lacrosse ball massage on upper back trouble areas (teres major and serratus particularly)

Today felt good. Legs are feeling stronger. GHR is feeling much stronger. Trying to focus more on technique and seeing a lot of these as skill moves not just a "workout." I especially noticed that my form is very poor in the SLS. I'm going to be doing Ido's Squat Clinic a lot more, and doing a lot of the Pain Free exercises as well.