Ok so I know there is the Azarian L sit, Azarian Cross, Azarian Maltese etc...correct me if I'm wrong but it's essentially a straight arm backward roll to each position. Has a straight arm forward roll ever been done? Even to a support hold? I've been working on this with assistance and would love to have it named after me! Lols. Forward roll to Victorian would be insane. I feel like a FR to L sit or cross would be doable, I've just never seen it done as far as I remember....
Has it been done?
Started by alec_ar, August 29, 2012 · 11 Replies · 3,421 Views
Have you checked the FIG code for forward roll/felge on rings?
Dunno if doing Azarian backwards would really be possible. Basically inlocate from a hang through back lever, maltese and support. :shock:
I haven't but I should check the FIG code. So I probably didn't explain it right. It's not necessarily a straght arm version of the bent arm forward roll. It's like this: start in a German hang. Pull through back lever and through inverted hang. Lower towards a front lever but instead of actually hitting a FL position your arms stay more or less at your sides. So you sort of pull through a momentary Victorian and then into support (or whatever position you choose). Dunno what to call it. I can upload a shoddy video if that helps.
Well on page 85, you'll find straight arm Forward felge to HS or a Cross is a C. That is from support. Pineda which is FL to Cross from a hang is a D.
If you ever plan on competing it and want the skill named after yourself, do not post a public video.
Thanks for the advice Blairbob. Although I would love to get credit for the move, I'm not a gymnast and wouldn't compete it. So that was more for lols than anything. If I ever achieve it unassisted, and if coach has the spare time, I suppose I'll send him a private video or something. Lemme check the FIG again, since I feel like it really should be in there...
I suppose this is what I was talking about when I said 'forward roll to Victorian'. Has anyone thought of trying straight arm reverse yewkis before?I guess it's the exact same as regular reverse yewkis, but as your lever reaches parallel you keep your arms locked out so there's no rowing motion. Would be cray cray to see unassisted.
Straight arm reverse Yewkis would be from inverted hang lower to straight arm FL and pullout back to inverted hang. I think what your describing sounds like lowering to victorian from inverted hang and I think that would be similar to leaning to victorian from support. I don't think it has been done in competitions before, but probably Danny Rodrigues could do it or did it in training before since he can already hold a victorian for at least a few seconds and has done maltese to victorian before.
Oh my bad! Thanks B1214N I was using the idea that when you pull towards the Bent arm FL, your elbows are basically in line with your body, so I thought about lowering into a straight arm version but keeping the elbows at the same height. So your right, a straight arm yewki I guess would be a front pull half. Thanks for clarifying.
As for the Victorian element, obviously I don't have a full Victorian yet 8) but having trained and screwed around with the element for awhile now and I can confidently say that raising from inverted hang to VC is NOTHING like lowering from support. I'm gonna try to explain why haha. I guess it has to do with leverage advantage. In a support hold you're above or in line with the rings and all you have to do is lean back to achieve a Victorian position. This is the easiest way to train it imo. When you go from inv. hang to VC you have to actually press strongly to get your body in line with the rings, unlike a FL for instance, where you simply lower your body to parallel. I think it's similar to a going from support and leaning into a Maltese, compared to going from inv. hang to Maltese. In the inv. hang version, you can lower your legs to parallel but you would only achieve a BL position if you didn't press hard to reach the Maltese. And that press for both Maltese and Victorian is insane!
I'm not sure if even Danny Rodrigues can do it, but if he can, it was after he had a solid VC hold I can assure you! Anyway, I'm sorry if I bored you I really get into discussing these things!
...Anyway, I'm sorry if I bored you I really get into discussing these things!
No, I was definitely not bored of these victorian topics. I'm actually interested in reading about victorian training, VC exercises, and VC skills. So keep them coming! ![]()
Now that I have re-thought about the inv hang/fwd roll to victorian, you are absolutely right that this is much harder than victorian leans from support like Azarian maltese vs. support to maltese. When you widen the arms from support, they will automatically widen because your body wants to drop to a hang, but from inv hang you have to use strength to widen the arms. It would use some of the same type of strength as FL pull to victorian albeit being easier since you start widening as soon as you lower from inv hang instead of at FL.
While Danny R. Victorian is the best, it technically should still get some deductions and the other competed Victorians should get more deductions.
Perhaps one day somehow will pull off a perfect one but it's doubtful.
Good points Blairbob. And to anyone more knowledgeable than I, isn't this with protracted scapulae:
[/attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Just for visual clarity this is what I was talking about more or less, and on my ring trainers. My form is reallllllly rough in the video and as I continue to train it I'll obviously use the tuck position. The sloppy form is because I haven't exposed myself much to transitioning to Victorian from anything other than support. And while it looks kind of simple, it's interesting how much more difficult it is to raise from inv. hang to victorian than from support. Hopefully I'll have a few good reps in a flat tuck pretty soon.
Dzk9Q_GJ13s