This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120828

Started by Coach Sommer, August 28, 2012 · 3 Replies · 1,243 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Sven Ravnstag

12 rounds 30 work/45 rest.

If I tend to sway my back dramatically on the rings, am I correct in choosing to perform the cycles stomach-to-wall? When I'm on the rings it seems like my back sways so much the move is almost more of an extreme incline BP movement than a handstand. Didn't realize how bad it was until I caught my shadow cast on the ground from my porch light...somewhat discouraging!

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks for the feedback!

Since discovering the form issue I've only been doing stomach to wall handstands, trying to get my hands as close to the wall as possible (a couple of inches out now), forehead to wall, and trying to press the stomach in as well, also pushing "out" with my arms to keep the shoulders from jamming in the sockets (I spent a lot of time in the RKC pressing mode where they emphasize "packing" the shoulder all the time, so I'm trying to break that habit).

Doing this for 12 rounds of 30 has me at probably 75-80% max effort. It's tough at first but then I seem to find a groove and despite some fatigue never have doubts about being able to finish.

I was figuring on continuing this practice until I'm able to hold a handstand in good form, then do the cycles freestanding on the ground. Would PB stands come after that? I'm imagining doing a HS on two bars parallel to one another, or do you mean with both hands on one bar?

Paulo

Performed:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS, 1x5 Pike Press HeS,

1x10 Straddle box Press HS, 1x10 Straddle Press HeS

five 30 sec PB HS (back against wall), five 30 sec freestanding HS

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

*able to get about 15 sec straight of non wiggle/movement freestanding HS'. Feels good.