Mobility for Handstands( chest stretch, thoracic spine,lats)

Started by Neil Marco, August 27, 2012 · 6 Replies · 4,756 Views

Neil Marco

Hello everyone!

So I've been digging trough the topics and many of you wrote the you need to stretch these to achieve a straight body line in handstand. I think I found some good ways to stretch the shoulder( and work it with Ido's prehab tools), but I just cannot find some good ways to stretch out my chest. Do you know a good stretch for it? I mean that really stretches it out.

The thoracic mobility is the same. I do not like to use the ones that are being used by bodybuilders, don't have a problem with them I just find them unreliable.

Or you know some lat stretches?

I need some help in these, can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

yuri marmerstein

If you hang from a bar and try to align your body in HS form, trying to open your shoulders as far as you can you should get a pec stretch in overgrip and a lat stretch in undergrip.

Don't forget though that simply doing static stretches is not enough, HS requires active flexibility of the shoulders which can be a little more complicated.

Neil Marco

yeah, i'm kinda immersed in this topic now, trying to fit the pieces into the puzzle, reading the recommendations, it's just that there are so many black spots, that I need to ask it specificly.

I'm working on the shoulder flexibility, both actively and passively, and I was asking because I want to eliminate any antagonist muscles to open up completely :)

thank you for the advice, I'll try that. Do you think it's enough in itself for these areas? Do I have to work on thoracic mobility for the body line?

Blairbob

Shoulder flexion = bridge and standing bent over cat stretch.

Shoulder extension = german hang, floor stretch like german hang, crab walks and moving back and forth and around in reverse plank.

Also look into Josh/Slizzardman's youtube for a snippet of the BW shoulder stretch series.

Neil Marco

I'm working on both of those since they are part of the program anyways, thank you, I will focus them on a little bit more :)

I also read somewhere from an older topic that you used the Yogi HS to open up the shoulders, had it worked or you stopped incorporating them?

Blairbob

I only really used those in 2003. Did them a few times. A helluva stretch. I never really had problems with my shoulder flexion till after the shoulder injuries on rings started piling up.

Probably something I should have started doing afterwards or now.

Neil Marco

Sorry I'm not native english and even tough I understand every single word of you, I cannot understand clearly what were you trying to say with you last post at the end.

So you say that one should incorporate the Yogi HS stretch into their routine cause it is worth it?