Handstand alignment help

Started by Banzas, August 25, 2012 · 7 Replies · 1,808 Views

Banzas

Hi everyone, I've been injured for some months and now started to train handstands again. Lost a lot of strength and balance and now I want to restart my training perfecting my basics first.

I think my handstand alignment is not that bad but I need a little bit more of shoulder flexibility. Also I can't correct my lower back posture in the handstand, what am I missing? I'm currently doing handstands with stomach facing the wall :wink:

Ld8qLOdFxaA

Any tips are apreciated :)

Nuno

Cole Dano

Nice straddle press!

Fixing the lower back is tough if you have the habit. That was how I learned to do HS and i've had to totally rebuild it from scratch.

Hollow holds were/ are an important part of it. You can also do them stomach to the floor, which I think has more carry over to your specific situation.

You can look through the forum for lots of ideas, but the biggest thing is just putting in the hours.

One thing that isn't mentioned too often is getting some outside eyes to look at you. If you know anyone who understands the proper shape they can help you when you are upside down. It's amazing what an informed touch can do to help find the correct shape, or at least better shape.

Banzas

Thank you Cole :)

Since I'm still finishing my recovery I'll use this time to improve my shape so that I can put more time on endurance and strength work when I'm 100%.

I'll follow those tips and I'll update here when I see some improvements.

PS: from that angle it's easy for a press to look good but sideways there's still a lot of forward leaning, another thing to work on :wink:

Cole Dano
Banzas said:
Thank you Cole :)PS: from that angle it's easy for a press to look good but sideways there's still a lot of forward leaning, another thing to work on :wink:

I was trying to cut you a break there :)

Banzas

I'm having some problems with straightening the lower back and maybe I found the problem, I think I have "anterior pelvic tilt".

This is my normal posture:

http://s17.postimage.org/zcqlgk9rj/Picture_6.jpg

Looks bad... :?

I've been searching and it could be weak abdominals which I don't think it's true, maybe weak glutes? I don't do leg exercises so it might be the problem.

Any help will be apreciated :)

jl5555

You've found the solution yourself really. When you open your shoulders a bit more that sway in your lower back will, most likely, go away. Also, when going into a HS, place your hands on the floor first, set your shoulders over your wrists, flatten your back and then kick up.

Banzas
jl5555 said:
You've found the solution yourself really. When you open your shoulders a bit more that sway in your lower back will, most likely, go away. Also, when going into a HS, place your hands on the floor first, set your shoulders over your wrists, flatten your back and then kick up.

God you're right! I tried to hold a stick above my head like doing dislocates shoulder width and this way I could open completely my shoulders. I looked at the mirror and look what, straight back! Now I need to work on this flexilibilty on the handstand position (active flexibility). I hope to give good updates soon!

The other topic about the anterior pelvic tilt, any ideas?

Thanks :)

Banzas

What do you guys think about the lean on the press? Is that too much? It's quite impossible to perform with no lean on the floor isn't it? At least I never saw one.

n-l5rv6sjbY

Thanks :)