This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120821

Started by Coach Sommer, August 21, 2012 · 5 Replies · 1,569 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of; XR HS, Negative Reverse MU to inverted hang, MU to SS, XR HSPU, lower down to XR Support Hold, negative MU down to hanging L-sit, Crank, Reverse Crank, Negative Front Pull

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) You may use the feet on the straps to slow your descent during the negative Reverse MU.

3) If you are unable to perform MU to SS (shoulder stand), perform the MU to support first and then press to SS.

4) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition

5) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

6) Use the position of your choice during the Crank and Reverse Crank that allows you to control the descent while still being challenging. The ascent and descent of these elements may both be performed in different positions.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

8 ) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

9) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

10) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Himamshu Nallan

Dear Coach Sommer,

Is it crucial to minimize the piking in the hips during the German hang?

Sincerely,

Nallan

Paulo

This looks really fun Coach :D , definetly gonna give it a shot (although most likely gonna be lots of fails going on) :?

Sven Ravnstag

I'm really enjoying these new WOD variations.

Paulo

Coach - First time going to a gymnastic gym this last Thursday and had a blast! I was there for 3 hours and learned some initial techniques on high bar, pommel horse and tumbling. I tried to start the 8/21 WOD posted here from the handstand position but kind of forgot the routine half way when up i was up on the rings :? Big accomplishment though getting into a handstand position for the first time (although probably not the best technique to getting into it) recommendations of easiest way to start in a handstand?

Couple firsts for me:

*first time getting into a handstand on rings (never tried it before in fear of crashing onto my head

*first time doing a presshandstand (for some reason i could never lift my feet off the ground trying it at home. Helps having an instructor there telling me what I'm doing wrong). Gotta work on keeping my legs straight on the transition up to the handstand.

The iron cross training tool was a lot of fun. I'm sure you utilize this in your classes. I couldn't get past the beginner notch, but something to strive for every time I go back.

Thanks again for all the WOD posted here.

qWWye4c5_zI

Josh Schmitter
Nallan said:
Is it crucial to minimize the piking in the hips during the German hang?

Depends on what you mean by 'crucial.' I would opt for foot assisted in a good position over piked full hang. As long as you are working towards sans pike, and you know the piking is temporary stage, I would say it's not a 'huge' deal....but again, who am I and what does "huge" mean? :).

Prereqs:60s between rounds.

3x50s-Plank,3x20s-arch,3x30s-sup,43x35-hollow,3x40s-dead, 3x20 rev. Pl

WOD:

3x4 Dips/Chins(212) 1:40s rest

3x15 Lsit hang(tuck), XR Plank Hold, GH(Foot assist)

2x10 wall ext(303)

Notes:

stayed at 3x4 for dips/pulls(chin, regular, neutral) today. Also only did 3 sets of the statics. Was feeling off(sensitive stomach and just overall weak...kinda like after being sick, but no other symptoms...maybe I'm fighting something).