Back Lever

Started by GalifreyTourist, August 20, 2012 · 6 Replies · 3,992 Views

GalifreyTourist

Would anyone be able to help me with my back lever progression, I am stuck on the first progression, I can hold the tucked back lever for 30 seconds but I am finding it impossible to hold the flat backed back lever for any time. Are there any assistance exercises that I should be doing in order to move onto this progression? Thankyou for your help.

Blairbob

Try adv tuck BL negatives. Get into an adv tuck from the inverted straight/candlestick position. Then lower.

Most will say you need to build your tuck BL up to 60s first.

Mark Bernacchi

What body part seems to be holding you back? It could be a weak back and core. The addition of having to hold your butt up with a flat back may be a bigger struggle for you than the added biceps and shoulder tension.

If this is the case you need to read the prerequisites threads and do arch holds, etc.

Paradox

You may be keeping your hips lower than shoulder level in the tuck back lever. So you're building strength in an incorrect position. You can try recording yourself.

Back pulls are a good exercise to help you out. But as Blairbob said, maybe it's a good idea to first get 60 second on tuck. In my experience, I couldn't hold a 5 second flat tuck until I had 40 seconds max on the basic tuck. No worries.

GalifreyTourist

Definitely poor back and core strength. What are arch holds and back pulls? Thanks for your advice.

blackbird

I don't think that arch holds would help that much, as a correct form black lever is performed with a flat back.

Glute ham raises with a flat back would make more sense.

You may also try tuck planche or advance tuck planche progressions with band assistance.

The advanced tuck BL negatives is a sound advice. Skin the cats would be also helpful.

By the way could you perform a solid 30s L-sit on the floor? It may sound strange, but it helps with the core compression.

Blairbob

I will say it as simple as this. SkinTheCat/360pulls in tuck/pike are critical before moving on to advanced progressions of either levers.