Front lever one leg, correct form?

Started by Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino, August 19, 2012 · 8 Replies · 2,781 Views

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Hello everybody, yesterday i tested my one leg front lever, i had never worked in this variation, and i was surprised that i could easily get into that position, the only thing i didn't liked is about my scapula retraction, i don't know if it's correctly..

pease check and critique the video =)

any comment and critique is very welcome as i want to improve as good as possible

x7V8a-scHCE

Niels Joergensen

Looks good! You're not completely level but it' alright. regarding scapula retraction. As long as you strive towards it I think it's alright. A full FL with proper retraction is very very difficult!

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck
martinponce said:
the only thing i didn't liked is about my scapula retraction, i don't know if it's correctly..

Nice effort. You don’t help yourself by wanting to look at your toes all the time. In your video it shows that, because of that, you start with a rounded upper back (i.e. protracted scapulae) and basically stay that way all the way down into your FL. For scapular retraction you have to start in inverse hang looking back and consciously retracting your scapula. From that position lower yourself down while pushing your head back and squeezing those shoulder blades together. I know, in that position it is very hard to know whether you are horizontal or not. You can do a quick check if you want to, but it is more important to focus on keeping those shoulder blades together (as long as possible) while lowering into and staying in your FL.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

thanks a lot for the comments =)

So , for getting a "packed neck" , or the correct amount of sacapula retraction, i have to try to look back?

It's difficult for me to imagine it... but i'll try it, i have to be able to do it with my shoulders blades together

Thanks a lot again, and greetings!!!

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck
martinponce said:
So , for getting a "packed neck" , or the correct amount of sacapula retraction, i have to try to look back?

It's difficult for me to imagine it... but i'll try it, i have to be able to do it with my shoulders blades together

I don't know what a "packed neck" is. When you are in inverse hang (i.e. hanging upside down) don't look at your toes and pull your shoulder blades together. Then you start to lower down and (try to) keep your shoulder blades together. By the time you are horizontal in the FL, you are looking up.

Archbishop o balance

I also used to watch my toes a lot during Front Levers, without really thinking about it and I think it held me back quite a bit.

Recently I have been working a lot trying to get into a good position whenever I do stuff (I have always tried getting into a good position, but I constantly encounter aha-moments where a movement/hold will improve immediately because of slight changes :) )

One such aha-moment occured while doing Negative Front lever pulls on a bar two months ago, when I decided to do it with a neutral neck, just glancing at my toes. I think that was key for my progress. My tuck hold has doubled since my last test, I can pull through (though not hold the straddle) and my one leg FL is getting solid. This notion was just confirmed by one of Ido Portal posts on Facebook a while back. Check the post, it had a couple other good tips that I felt helped. Think it was posted on July 30th.

http://www.facebook.com/portal.ido

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck
Archbishop o balance said:
One such aha-moment occured while doing Negative Front lever pulls on a bar two months ago, when I decided to do it with a neutral neck, just glancing at my toes. I think that was key for my progress. My tuck hold has doubled since my last test, I can pull through (though not hold the straddle) and my one leg FL is getting solid. This notion was just confirmed by one of Ido Portal posts on Facebook a while back. Check the post, it had a couple other good tips that I felt helped.

I liked Ido Portal's post too. Here are his tips:

1. Try to RIP the bar apart - pulling your hands out.

2. Try to DEPRESS and RETRACT the Scapula - even if full retraction does not happen - AIM to do it.

3. Try to lean with your head back - lengthening your neck behind while pressing down the bar to your hips.

Trying to rip the bar apart is a new one for me. Maybe that will be my aha-moment.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Really thanks a lot!!!

I've begun my workouts yestarday, following these recommendations, and it was very very easier and with a better form =)