Ring dips killing my upper arms!!!

Started by BldyKnuckles89, August 19, 2012 · 4 Replies · 7,741 Views

BldyKnuckles89

So recently I've been working more on B.W dips (utilizing rings) and I've found that my upper arms are rubbing against those straps like crazy. I'll give you a little more detail of the exercise, during the eccentric phase my hands have a neutral grip on the rings and I keep that same neutral grip during the concentric phase. Now, I saw a picture on here with a gymnast doing ring dips. During the eccentric he had a neutral grip, but on the concentric his hands turned to a supinated grip. I'm just curious if the reason for my upper arms rubbing against the strap is due to the fact that my grip isn't correct on the concentric phase...

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick Van de Glind

haha, I had the same thing: on Pushups, Dips, Shoulderstands etc..

and then I got better through training + bought a Nike compression shirt with the sleeves

coming to my elbow, and now i'm fine.

Blairbob

Set the rings wider than where you will be placing your hands on them.

On a ring support, you turn the rings out which is like supinating your arm.

Coach Sommer

Keep the rings turned out past parallel and this will not be an issue.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

BldyKnuckles89

Just tried a few reps with the rings "turned out" and I'm not having any problems! Thanks Coach! (and everyone else!)