Planche without a Back lever

Started by Kyle Courville, August 17, 2012 · 5 Replies · 6,311 Views

Kyle Courville

I've been doing gymnastics type training on and off for a while. Recently an idea hit me in the face, and I don't know how I didn't notice before. I have always been pretty strong in the planche position and make steady progress. I can hold a decent tuck for about 25 seconds, and an adv tuck for about 5 seconds. I never have any problems with planche and bicep stress. In fact it feels pretty good after I train planche. However, I noticed that when I work the back lever it is very stressful on my bicep, and causes me to have to limit my planche training.This is mostly due to lack of strength in the more extreme ROM of a back lever.

This is a problem because the planche is my goal and I could really care less about the back lever. I know that it is the forces on my stretched bicep that is the problem in the back lever, and I plan to slowly progress. However, I feel that it is worth mentioning that progress can be made on planche without a solid back lever. I may be the exception, but nonetheless it is still possible.

Cole Dano

You are absolutely correct about this!

yuri marmerstein

Absolutely

Assuming your elbows are completely locked you can manipulate the degree of stress on your elbow by changing your hand placement in the planche. Fingers forward in planche will place less stress on the elbow but the most stress on the wrists, and vice versa with fingers back.

However, if ring planche is your goal, it's not a terrible idea to work fingers back planches.

Kyle Courville
yuri said:
However, if ring planche is your goal, it's not a terrible idea to work fingers back planches.

I only work planches with the fingers back. It feels a lot more natural to me.

Paradox

Yep, I don't think anyone ever said progress couldn't be made on planche without a back lever. But, Coach has simply stated that a proficient back lever will accelerate planche development.

Where are you in the back lever progressions? Are you training it at all regularly now, or just an occasional back lever workout every now and then amidst your planche focus?

Anyways, you are still in the beginner-intermediate realm of planche training. I'd be interested in seeing how you are progressing once you start focusing on straddle and half lay.

Kyle Courville
Paradox said:
But, Coach has simply stated that a proficient back lever will accelerate planche development.

I believe the intent of Coach's statement is that one should have adequately prepared the biceps to be able to handle the demands of planche training.

Paradox said:
Where are you in the back lever progressions? Are you training it at all regularly now, or just an occasional back lever workout every now and then amidst your planche focus?

I really don't know to be honest. I know for sure I can hold an adv. tuck and maybe even a full back lever. I haven't trained it in a while and never trained it consistently. I may focus more on back levers, but not right now. My goal is to achieve a solid adv. tuck in planche first.

Paradox said:
I'd be interested in seeing how you are progressing once you start focusing on straddle and half lay.

Valid point, but I'm pretty sure I won't stall because I don't train the back lever. The planche is a pretty specific skill.